Fooling someone with Linux

MX - series of Linux is currently MX-18.

But you can download MX-16 from this page

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/MX-16/

Take the iso just below README, and the MD5 at the bottom that matches. It supports 32-bit, also non-PAE machines.

It may use as little as 300 MB RAM at rest. Not sure if you can change the default panel to the bottom (default is left).

Wizard

Time to stick another distro on here.
Try the Revenge (began as Revenge, later it was renamed to Zen installer), if you haven't already. It's a project of Arch with a GUI installer. I already tried it and loved it, so I'm keeping as an alternative - if and/or when some day Mint goes in a direction I don't like.

I have found it to be a daunting task with such a small Notebook / Laptop with very minimal hardware to get some to even read and install from the USB for some of the ISO Distros I tried, a few would not even try to do an install.
Not sure what was the trouble with some, there was a couple installs that stopped and gave a message "Not Enough System Resource For Proper Operation" or some such warning, after which it would simply shut down and do a restart. I gave up on this attempt for now, although I do have linux running on it.

For some they may think I have not given most Distros a fair chance .............. I am not sure how you would define a fair chance amongst all the other Distros when I have not tried them all. Some of them are very bare bones very minimalist package, while others are a more completed polished package with a robust install and tech team driving them.

I went back to default and installed what is running on 1 desktop and 2 laptops we have with a Solus install.
Surprisingly the tiny crappytop actually runs Solus in either the DE Mate or Budgie both of which according to minimum specs are far above what this little guy is even close to for specs with a dual core 1.0 Ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram. I don't know when compared to recommended distro what is apples to apples or apples to oranges, when trying to compare all the different distros.
So far I have found away around the repository and using the terminal ( sudo apt get ) or editing a bash file to get a Linux Distro to work by using Solus.
Solus seems to be more for a layman with a simple to follow along point and click install method. Once installed you can remove what you don't want with point and click or add to include what you do want by point and click. It comes with a terminal for any that wish to use that as well.

Members online

Latest posts