First time building a Linux desktop, hardware selection

Nightpoison

So as the title says, this is my first time building a Linux desktop. I've built about a dozen windows build over the years, but this will be my first Linux specific build. Im repurposing my brothers gaming PC, that he just upgraded. My question is geared more towards what I should replace and what parts should I keep for this initial build. I'll be replacing and adding parts over the next year or two anyway, as I'll be looking use the build in the future for deep learning development. For now it will be used for general PC use, some personal software development, and lite media services; Plex, podcast editing, video editing.

I know Linux certification isn't really a thing. I would rather order parts now if I need to swap something out. Honestly, as far as I can tell the motherboard is the one piece I'm most worried about. Anything I should dump and replace?

AMD FX-8350
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2 motherboard
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Asus Radeon HD 7850
750w Thermaltake Smart series fully modular
LG disc drive
Four 200mm NZXT fans
Two 140mm NZXT fans

Nik-Ken-Bah

G'day @Nightpoison and welcome to the community.
With the ASUS motherboard what NIC/ethernet adaptor does it have have?
Is it Realtek or Intel?
I ask this as I have found through personal experience that Realtek is a bit iffy when it comes to drivers but I have since learnt that Intel creates drivers specifically for Linux. But there again my motherboard is about 5 years old and that maybe my trouble.
Others such as @wizardfromoz @Condobloke @arochester and others will have a better idea about the question you posed.

Nightpoison

@Nik-Ken-Bah Hello, thanks for the welcome and insight. Yea it seems the NIC/ethernet adapter is the common thing I keep hearing about.

As far as which adapter that it has. I think from my research is a realtek adapter. It seems to be referenced often, but no direct documentation that I can find.

If its a NIC compatibility issue, wouldn't the simplest solution be to just buy a PCIe card and call it a day? This way I don't have to replace the MOBO and I get a adapter that is known to work with Linux?

poorguy

I think from my research is a realtek adapter. It seems to be referenced often, but no direct documentation that I can find.
Hmm I had no problem finding documentation.

Here's the Lan adapter it has
Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

If its a NIC compatibility issue, wouldn't the simplest solution be to just buy a PCIe card and call it a day? This way I don't have to replace the MOBO and I get a adapter that is known to work with Linux?
Yes that would be the easiest thing to do imo.

I would contact Asus and check about Linux compatitbility with this motherboard.

atanere

I would contact Asus and check about Linux compatitbility with this motherboard.
I would simply burn Linux Mint to a USB and boot up your computer with it. See what works and what doesn't. If something doesn't work, investigate how to fix it. A working computer is not your only goal... it is knowledge. Good luck! :cool::D

But don't be surprised if everything works. :eek:o_O:D

Last edited:

Nightpoison

@atanere I like that. thank you kind of puts a new light on it.

"A working computer is not your only goal...it is knowledge"

I appreciate the perspective!!!!

Linux Mint? I've always used Ubuntu, I know it appears to be the go to Linux dist for new uses. Can I ask why you suggest Linux Mint.

I always figured I would get around to creating some VM's with different distros to see what they were about.

I would simply burn Linux Mint to a USB and boot up your computer with it. See what works and what doesn't. If something doesn't work, investigate how to fix it. A working computer is not your only goal... it is knowledge. Good luck! :cool::D

But don't be surprised if everything works. :eek:o_O:D

atanere

Can I ask why you suggest Linux Mint.
I couldn't tell from your OP that you had prior Linux experience, and I would usually recommend Linux Mint to all Linux newbies... mostly because of the traditional desktops that it offers. Since you're familiar with Ubuntu already, you're probably also acquainted with the Gnome 3 Shell desktop that is their standard edition (and the Unity desktop before that). Many people love this more modern style (I don't)... but I generally think that a traditional desktop is easier for people migrating from Windows.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are nearly two peas from the same pod (Debian). They are both a couple of the best (IMO) for ease of installation, and for making nearly all hardware work (sound, wireless, printers, etc). And when something doesn't work, they both have very large helpful communities where solutions to problems can often be found easily... just by searching and without the need to ask specifically.

It's just a personal opinion, but I think the Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition is one of the most beautiful and functional traditional desktops around. It should run nicely on your hardware as is, or at least it would be a good starting point. Both Ubuntu and Mint also should work well with UEFI and Secure Boot left enabled on your motherboard, but there are some cases when this doesn't hold true. If you find you need to disable Secure Boot, you may have to jump through some Asus hoops... I've heard of a few strange cases about this, but no need to worry until you actually try to install and see what happens. Leave them enabled if you can.

With UEFI and Secure Boot left enabled, and if you allow Mint or Ubuntu to do a full install to the entire hard drive, they should prepare the hard drive as a GPT disk (instead of older MBR type). This is good. But the differences between UEFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR (plus Secure Boot) are still causing problems for Linux at times. Letting Linux install to the entire hard drive often helps to avoid these problems.

Cheers

Nik-Ken-Bah

If its a NIC compatibility issue, wouldn't the simplest solution be to just buy a PCIe card and call it a day?
Personally that is what I intend to do as it may be the best work around in the long run.
I will be installing a Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adaptor this one

Members online

Latest posts