Firmware Update Recommendations

willyum

Reaction score
Credits
I have an older Thinkpad (2016 I think) that works beautifully. I've had it for about 5 years and during that time it has never had a firmware update. Is it recommended that these updates be done? If so, how often? Lenovo has software called Vantage, but I'm not sure it it is worthwhile or bloatware. I'm not even sure if it works in Linux.

More likely it is windows oriented . Bios updates and the like are usually skewed that way.

You could always open the Vantage app and see if it mentions Linux...or if any of the downloads in there are just .exe files....which means they are exclusively meant for windows.

If they are .exe files, I would simply leave it alone.

It ain't broke ...don't fix it.

Vantage is not now loaded and I'm not inclined to do so unless needed. I generally subscribe to the ...don't fix it attitude, but thought I would get other opinions.
Thanks

BIOS/UEFI updates can usually be done outside of the OS, even though they may contain a .exe they can be updated through the appropriate section.

If you are booted to UEFI, it's possible to install other firmware updates - like CD-ROM updates with something called 'fwupdmgr'. At least I'm pretty sure it required UEFI to be enabled when I last looked, as it had something to do with hardware signing? I'd have to look again...

If there's nothing broken, I agree with the 'don't fix it' methodology.

Thank you. Even the article recommends not doing anything unless needed for some reaon:

"If something goes wrong during the BIOS update, your PC or laptop could be rendered useless. If there’s a power cut, or the computer gets turned off while updating, it could mean that it’s unable to boot at all. It’s unlikely, but not out of the question.
So, unless you have a good reason to, we’d advise you not to update the BIOS at all."

For now at least, I think I'll stick to the "don't fix it" attitude.
Thanks again.

I usually only update mine once every two years on my desktop systems, on my laptops I don't update them.

Members online

Latest posts