Firewall Yes or No?

keith 1955

Reaction score
Credits
Firstly, thank you to all who replied to my (32 bit is it supported ) question on this page.
So i have downloaded and using Ubuntu 18.04.2 64 bit. LTS Bionic Beaver and first impressions are good
This is my first time with Linux and i read comments saying no need for firewall or other security measures.
Coming from Windows 7 with Firewall / avast and Malwarebytes installed these comments seem lax to a new guy.
i will be using this computer for internet banking with HTTPS everywhere added to Firefox so i need to make sure i am secure.
What do you suggest??

many thanks
Keith.

A firewall is a must nothing is bullet proof.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command.

sudo apt install ufw

press enter and then enter your password and press enter.

now copy and paste this command.

sudo ufw enable

press enter

To check ufw status copy and paste this command.

sudo ufw status

press enter and enter password.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a read.

Firejail Sandbox.

Default settings are good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not browse without a firewall.

I am not so familiar with ubuntu as I am with Linux Mint, but I am reasonably sure they both operate in a similar fashion re the firewall.

Open Terminal (ctrl alt T) will open it......the copy and paste what i have typed in below in red.......

sudo ufw enable

....then hit enter.
you will be prompted for your password....type it in (you will not see ANY response when you type......just put the password in, this is normal)....and hit enter again

Thats it. Nothing else is necessary.
The firewall will now be turned ON each and every time you startup or reboot

If you feel the need to check if it is on.....type in...
sudo ufw status .....will let you know that it is active. Thats it.

I also use Malwarebytes Browser Extension in Firefox and ublock origin (both add ons)

It does not slow anything down, and adds a simple layer of confidence

A firewall is a must nothing is bullet proof.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command.

sudo apt install ufw

press enter and then enter your password and press enter.

now copy and paste this command.

sudo ufw enable

press enter

To check ufw status copy and paste this command.

sudo ufw status

press enter and enter password.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a read.

Firejail Sandbox.

Default settings are good enough.

Tried installing Firejail and got myself into a bit of a mess!! first time followed link from poorguy,
Firefox wouldn't connect to internet, Googled how to delete from Terminal this worked so online again. Any ideas how to do this please remember i am new to Linux.
thanks
Keith.

open the command terminal and copy and paste these commands to remove firejail.

sudo apt remove --purge firejail

press enter and enter password press enter

sudo apt autoremove

press enter

will remove all traces of firejail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The version of Firejail from the repos doesn't work for new versions of Firefox.

Once firejail is installed it can be run from the command terminal by entering this command.

firejail firefox

It can be started by changing the command from the properties of the app / software wanting to be run.

Perhaps this may explain.