Firefox snap update/Should I switch distributions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 140508
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 140508

I still get those messages regarding the snap updates for Firefox. In the last thread, they said that Firefox is working on resolving those issues. I don't want to have to run commands in the terminal every time I see that message. I would like to know if I would be better off switching distributions. I understand that this decision is entirely up to me, but I would like to get some input regarding using another distribution other than Ubuntu.

Open the terminal and copy and paste and run these commands one at a time.

Code:
sudo killall firefox

then

Code:
sudo snap refresh

I still get those messages regarding the snap updates for Firefox. In the last thread, they said that Firefox is working on resolving those issues. I don't want to have to run commands in the terminal every time I see that message. I would like to know if I would be better off switching distributions. I understand that this decision is entirely up to me, but I would like to get some input regarding using another distribution other than Ubuntu.
You can get around that by blocking Ubuntu from pulling the snap version of Firefox by pinning it.

First, create a new file:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-no-snap
Next, add these lines to that new file:

Code:
Package: firefox*
Pin: release o=Ubuntu*
Pin-Priority: -1

Save it. Then add the Mozilla team Ubuntu PPA for Firefox:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
Finally, ‘apt update’ and ‘apt install’ the latest Firefox version:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install firefox

You can get around that by blocking Ubuntu from pulling the snap version of Firefox by pinning it.
That's the same explanation as explained in the link I shared.

Can you share with us what method you used (or other)?

Thanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz