FIREFOX AND CHROME ARE SQUARING OFF OVER AD-BLOCKER EXTENSIONS.... Jun 10, 2022

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Read this the other day. I stopped using Chrome a while ago. Have run Brave on occasion but prefer Firefox right now. Definitely over the advertising giant (Google) anyway.

I'm not far enough in my programming skills to really understand the first article, i would like to try to install adblocking on chrome. I'm currently using it. It's no secret that Google Chrome trusts ads way too much, but it's also no secret that Mozilla doesn't read web code quite as snappily as chrome does.

It's no secret that Google Chrome trusts ads way too much,
Or perhaps they make too much $ from them ?

Have you tried brave-browser.......blocks adds by default

You can also add adblocker/uBlock origin to it if you feel the need.

Or perhaps they make too much $ from them ?

Have you tried brave-browser.......blocks adds by default

You can also add adblocker/uBlock origin to it if you feel the need.

Yeah, they trust ads too much because they monopolize the internet AND make money off them. Google is certainly guided by this incredibly stupid sense of optimism. If you get inundated by ads, then you can't even figure out what to buy anymore. I also think Amazon has contributed significantly to this problem, but we're getting into politics so I'm going to respect the efforts of the moderators and let you take the floor if you have something to say about this maddeningly complex topic.

I usually reduce things, as much as is possible, to the very simple.

I do not care for google nor amazon. Nor do I care for organisations like facebook etc.

So I stay away from them. The kids of today would be well advised to stay away too....but they won't because they do not have the maturity to realise that they are being led around by the nose.

Not until they are 40?...maybe? do they begin to truly realise that the mindset that they have likely belongs to someone else.

Some have the mental agility to realise early on that they are the product....and distance themselves accordingly. Just what the percentage is of those who see the light I am not sure....but judging by the every increasing profits of google etc etc etc it is not high enough.

Ok....I have managed to derail my own topic.

We can resume normal station activity right about now.

According to the web site that @Condobloke posted. Which browsers are best for privacy looks like Brave should be our go to browser. The one I've been using tested very poor in most categories. I will give brave another try first time I tried it some time ago It just was not a good fit for me.

Which browsers are best for privacy looks like Brave should be our go to browser.
That is the exact reason why I posted.

I needed a reasonably clear path through the maze of browsers, without having to resort to multiple extension in order to give me a reasonably safe browser.
I say 'reasonably safe', because I still firmly believe that no matter how 'safe' the browser, the end experience is guided to a huge degree by the fbtk (fool behind the keyboard)

Given a responsible approach to what is being browsed etc.....I do feel that Brave gives me a safe environment in which to do so.

I do go through the settings quite carefully....I do not allow anything goodle or facebook to intrude....nor do I turn on the brave rewards. I do not need them. If they have any 'safety' issue I am unaware.

Pretty simple stuff. Just the way I like it. And it is fast.

I also opt to wipe cached images and files as well as download history, upon exiting from the browser. Periodically I will also wipe browsing history as well as all cookies and other site data. This a pain becasue it involves logging back into my favourte sites, but with the use of a password manager it takes a few seconds only.

I use 'Homey' as my new tab page and attach my most visited sites to that for fast access.

Some of the ad-free privacy orientated desktop browsers have an adblocker extension built in or include one in the default install so the chart does not seem a fair comparison to me. Firefox comes with no extensions by default. Firefox with Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger will likely match or exceed the privacy levels of the listed browsers.

For belt and braces I also use an old reclaimed Raspberry Pi 2B with Pi-hole installed to dump ads and reduce the tracking data slurping at the LAN layer, however, it does leave white space instead of the ad. Fortunately, Ublock Origin in Firefox removes this so it's a 'goldielocks' solution for me.

I use FF with Ublock, Privacy Badger and NoScript, but NoScript is getting into my nerves

I've tried brave a few times and it just never suits me. It's a fine browser but I like Vivaldi and it has it's own built in ad blocker and tracker blocker which both work well. So I'm not sure they must have run their tests with those turned off. But the chart doesn't show true readings. as far as I can tell they favor Brave above the other Browsers.
We must always remember that these Browser companies need to pay the bills also so a little advertising won't hurt. But I do draw the line at trackers.

wifi not responding is common for LIVE version's of a OS, restarting should do the trick.

Staff online

Members online