Firefox 96 Is Out

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You can read about it here

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firef...ium=firefox-desktop&utm_campaign=about-dialog

For Linux developers and so on

Firefox for Linux changes the shortcut key for "Select All" from Alt-A to Ctrl-A for solving web-compatibility and avoiding conflict with access keys. If you want to keep using Emacs like key bindings, e.g., you configured your GTK settings to use Ctrl-A as a shortcut key for moving caret to beginning of a line, you must change ui.key.textcontrol.prefer_native_key_bindings_over_builtin_shortcut_key_definitions and ui.key.use_select_all_in_single_line_editor from about:config. Currently, these are disabled by default but will be enabled by default in a future release.

For me, the new release seems to be coming through more quickly under Arch-based distros.

Friday in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Received Firefox 96 through updates on EndeavourOS and PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu 20.04.3 and no settings changed.

So far all is working well and I have no complaints.

I installed it with the instructions of this page:
https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Flathub
#3 Flathub, It does not appear in the installed applications, I can only run it from the terminal... is that so?

If I want to uninstall it how I do it if it is not in the installed applications list?

Last edited:
I don't think FlatPaks install I think FlatPaks are just downloaded as foldrs which are run from within that folder.

So to remove it I'd think you'd just delete the FlatPak file folder.

I'd check to see if Firefox 96 is offered in Synaptic Package Manager if it doesn't update through the update manager.

I think....Mozilla/Firefox still has work to do....and plenty of it.

My current browser (Chromium) is fast....very fast.

Because the browser is the main piece of software on any PC, it simply makes great common sense that it should be quick....not slow and cumbersome.

The problem is not my pc. The problem is Firefox.

I think....Mozilla/Firefox still has work to do....and plenty of it.

My current browser (Chromium) is fast....very fast.

Because the browser is the main piece of software on any PC, it simply makes great common sense that it should be quick....not slow and cumbersome.

The problem is not my pc. The problem is Firefox.
Firefox 96 on my old 2013 dual core computer with 8 gigs of ram and old mechanical hard drive is not slow at all runs great Linux distro is Ubuntu 20,04.3 .

If Firefox 96 on your computer is slow is perhaps you're running to many ad on extensions.

Seems I read somewhere here on the forum about the many ad on extensions you run.

I have been around the block a few times and am aware of the extensions hang ups/slow downs etc etc etc

This is running with no extensions/add-ons

It is correct that I used to run more than a handful of extensions....F'fox needed them to function nicely/safely....I then noticed the slow down and got rid of the extensions one by one trying to find the one that was slowing the process down.....I came to the inescapable conclusion that it was Firefox itself. I reinstalled after a complete uninstall.....profile change and all.

History: I have been using f'fox since before i came to Linux....sometime in 2005 (approx)

It was an awesome browser. Accent on was.

Around 6 or maybe 7 months ago i detected a marked change in ffox.....mostly related to its speed.

I was not impressed.

Eventually I did something swore I would never do. I changed browsers

(1st)......bravebrowser.
Very fast, reliable. It had a few little niggling dramas that the developers were obviously not going to alter/change....they had been evident from before I started using it.

so

(2nd) Chromium. quite perfect. Only needs 1 add on to run beautifully without adds. (uBlock origin)

I have a few other addons to make it work for me in other areas....a youtube downloader (mp3's) my password manager, a grammar & spell checker, and https everywhere. That is all it needs.

Downloadable from Software Manager in Linux Mint

I run two monitors....with x number of tabs open on one monitor, I can click on one tab and drag it to the other monitor to continue working with it there. If that tab happens to be Linux.org, i can click on alerts and then right click and open in new tab and it adds to the open tabs on that particular monitor......what's not to like ??!!

The end result being I can happily have more tabs open than I care to count./.......and Chromium handles them with ease and grace, and so does my PC.

Doing this in Ffox?....I am a patient man....but not that patient.

When/if ffox gets its act together, I will give it another try. I keep it on my pc just for old times sake (no pun intended, mate)

Anything in chromium that mentions some connection to google....is not ticked. No sync with google at all.

I use duckduckgo (DDG) for all searches.

Read the reviews (4.3/5 in 1,176 reviews) in the software manager or at Linux mint community they speak for themselves. Any negative reviews there have other pc problems that they are unaware of. That number of reviews compares more than favourably with firefox's.

I've run Chromium in the past it's okay I like Firefox better and it runs great on my old Windows 7 computer I'll keep it.

I also use DDG and Ublock Origin with Firefox 96 no complaints.

I used to try and make my browsers as secret and invisible as possible and secure using site isolation and 1st line isolation.

Yeah it's great for making a browser invisible and it also make it to where you can't login to or onto any website either.

I also used to be the king of browser ad on extensions and found they create issues with normal browser operation.

Whichever works best and does what ya need is the one to use.

All of my Linux computers are old Windows computers that aren't up to today's modern hardware standards.

That being the case I don't see much difference in the speed of one browser compared with another browser.

On my Linux computers browsers I've tried have all seemed to pretty much run the same all run good.

I just like Firefox best.

Yep, was Mint 20.3 was updated yesterday to FF 96. Have not really used it yet though.

Had an update today:
firefox:
Installed: 96.0.1-1
Candidate: 96.0.1-1
Version table:
*** 96.0.1-1 500
500 https://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main arm64 Packages

Had my update the 11th.
Code:
[2022-01-11T17:20:35+0100] [ALPM] upgraded firefox (95.0.2-1 -> 96.0-1)

FWIW:

In the many benchmark tests, Chrome/Chromium is objectively faster than Firefox. Recently, Vivaldi has usurped the title (of the major browsers) as fastest (in some tests). On Windows, Safari is quite a speedy browser - but we don't actually get Safari on Linux.

That said, they all perform well enough in comparison to each other.

Vivaldi is one of my favorite browsers, though I don't use it often enough. If you're looking for a new browser, one with a ton of options, Vivaldi might be a good option for you. I used to use Opera back when it was a paid browser. The person behind Vivaldi is the same person that was behind Opera.

Opera was, while relatively unknown back then, at the forefront of tech - offering features that'd someday become web standards. Then, around version 13 (maybe 15) they switched to being a Chromium based browser. Then, they kinda sucked until about version 21 or 23. They're back to being a solid release again. I'd still prefer Vivaldi over the 'new' Opera.

I remember back in the windows days Opera was installed together with utorrent (a malware) among other malware... I don't know why you do that to yourself, you know a lot about computers and yet you test drive Opera

It arrived to Arch 2 days ago and with a bad bang - it had a huge impact on performance. The reason turned out to be the technical telemetry. Once that's turned off, the browser behaves normally. But if you keep it on, CPU usage goes above 60% very quickly.

That seems a strange paring. I suspect, if accurate, it was Opera paying for promotion and unaware of it being bundled with malware. Companies that large don't necessarily do things because of 'integrity' like we'd think of the word. They do so with an eye to how the public will see it. So, without any evidence to review (and no references I can find online in a two minute search), my presumption would be they were negligent in paying an advertisement company.

They were doing just fine financially. They did so well that they were even able to sell the company for a tidy sum. I'm not sure why they'd be involved in malvertizing.

I used Opera for a long time back in the day. But found after the switch to Chromium base it lost it's appeal for me. I've been using Vivaldi now for over a year and think for me anyway it's the best browser out there. But that being said all the browsers are very close with FF being the slowest of the group I've used. And I never really like FF I like that they have been open source friendly But was just never comfortable with their browser. Still use Thunderbird as my e-mail client though. Even though it's no longer maintained by Mozilla. Vivaldi is just fast and reliable and is still being actively updated. But to each their own. It makes linux a great system because we have choices. :) I still test out each new browser including FF and others but find no compelling reason to switch.

But found after the switch to Chromium base it lost it's appeal for me.

Yup. The switch almost killed them. They pretty much sucked from ver. 12 (or 15, I forget which) to ver. 23.

I've been using Vivaldi now for over a year and think for me anyway it's the best browser out there.

It's in the rotation. If I wasn't already invested (time-wise) in Chrome or Chromium, I might switch one for Vivaldi. I was a very early adopter of Vivaldi and I still sometimes use it for a dedicated set of tasks. That one is mostly domain name management and some hosting accounts. (Different browsers for different tasks.)

Members online

Latest posts