finding remaining space and used space for each partition in ubuntu 18.04lts nautilus

andrewysk

Reaction score
Credits
is there anyway to quickly find out available remaining space and used space on each of the partition of my hdd ?

in windows file explorer, it is so easy as right click on each partition (drives c, drive d...).

how to do that in ubuntu 18.04lts ? i can't even come to decision which folder is the representation of the partition that i am interested.

thx
andrew

The command line is one way.
Code:
df -h /dev/sda1
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       380M  6.1M  374M   2% /boot/efi
df -h /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2       219G   11G  197G   6% /
df -h /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1       293G  123G  156G  45% /home

is there anyway to quickly find out available remaining space and used space on each of the partition of my hdd ?
The command @jglen490 posted is probably the easiest.
If you want a graphical way GParted may be the easiest. I don't know if it is included in the default applications installed with Ubuntu but it should be readily available in the Software Manager.
Install it and then just run it from the Applications menu (or wherever one finds applications in Ubuntu! :) )
If you have more that one disk or drive use the down arrow in the uppermost right hand box to choose.

Vrai is absolutely right on that. I can't speak specifically to Ubuntu, but it is installed with Kubuntu. Linux/Unix, if there is one way to do something, there are a hundred ways ;)

i know there should be many ways, Gparted is one method i know. df also.
that's all the method ? there is no faster method ?
on windows, it is so fast and easy.. on linux, have to go else where to find the free space.. i thought maybe there are better way, faster than windows or something better.

thx
Vrai is absolutely right on that. I can't speak specifically to Ubuntu, but it is installed with Kubuntu. Linux/Unix, if there is one way to do something, there are a hundred ways ;)

In most Linux distros the is something called "Disk Usage Analyzer" open it and it will show total amount and what is used and what it is used for.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux. They don't do things the same way, and most Linux developers don't get paid Microsoft salaries either. What you can do is recommend to Ubuntu that they include that feature in some GUI product or other, and tell then why it should be a priority effort.

Even on Windows you have to go some place and click on something to get your answer.

Maybe someday we'll all just have a wireless connection between our computing devices and our brains :rolleyes:

In most Linux distros the is something called "Disk Usage Analyzer" open it and it will show total amount and what is used and what it is used for.

Yes, there is baobab in Kubuntu 18.04LTS, and probably something similar in Ubuntu. But, baobab is a command line thing in Kubuntu, and it's probably about 7 keystrokes too many for some. Keep a terminal open all the time, and keyin df -h. With the Enter key, that's 6 keystokes, again too much, but simple and fast.

Several years ago, I installed Ubuntu - for about 10 minutes. And then immediately killed it and went back to Kubuntu.

I'll shut up now.

I think it has to be installed on some Linux distros but I'm uncertain.

I've always just gone to the menu and tick the Disk Usage Analyzer and it opens no command line involved.

i know there should be many ways, Gparted is one method i know. df also.
that's all the method ? there is no faster method ?
on windows, it is so fast and easy.. on linux, have to go else where to find the free space.. i thought maybe there are better way, faster than windows or something better.

thx
hmmmm.... df -h isn't fast enough?
It's pretty dang fast! :)

i think it is nothing to do with fast :) lol . something to do with expectation, usually from windows users.. bcos we have being using it for ages..
just like ppl from convinience era returned back to stone age.. everything have to be created manually before one can build something.. ...

ya..
lot of getting use to.. lol

great! now that i know there is nothing like windows. i will just have to adjust my mentality on this. i was just asking if there is anything faster.. IF .. who know maybe someone smarty made something better than what windows os has... just i don't know it.. than it would be a shame not to use it.
i always imagined that linux has got super flexibility that we can do minor tweaking and it performs anything that windows system can't do.. lol

hmmmm.... df -h isn't fast enough?
It's pretty dang fast! :)

Staff online

Members online