Find Duplicate Music Files

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Running LM 20
I have around 1000+ songs/music files, in home/brian/Music/MUSIC AUGUST'20
There are some number of duplicates
Does anyone have a reliable way/app/program etc that will list them and allow me to delete them ?

Do you mean duplicate names or duplicate audio content in the files?

audio content that has the exact same name....possibly a different format (mp3 vs ogg)

Can you give an example of a few files with duplicate names but but with the different format?

/home/brian/Music/MUSIC AUGUST'20/Frédéric Chopin- Piano Concerto No- 1 e-minor -Olga Scheps live- - DASH.ogg

/home/brian/Music/MUSIC AUGUST'20/Frédéric Chopin- Piano Concerto No- 1 e-minor -Olga Scheps live- - .mp3

At a quick glance that is all i can find.........My need is to delete the duplicate.......it doesnt really matter which format I keep.......they will both play in my music player

I will pay attention to thos tomorrow, @arochester ....it has been a long day (up since 4am)
Thanks for the links

I did try a couple from the repositories....fdupe among them......with no success

Perhaps after I have had mucho sleepo.....things may look a little differently!

Running LM 20
Does anyone have a reliable way/app/program etc that will list them and allow me to delete them ?
Just a quick aside;
Be wary of 'de-duplicating' your audio files based on name alone whereas some files may be of better sound quality.

I have a very large collection of music files (approximately 80,000 ) which I have collected over the years from various sources. What I discovered during my de-duplication efforts was that some of the duplicate files were of vastly different sound quality.

FSlint
sudo apt install fslint

Easy documentation available here can be downloaded in epub or pdf.

Thanks, @Vrai ...I am awake and ready for another go (5.23am here)

I took a careful look through the list....and it consists of just mp3's now. There were only a few .ogg's mixed in amongst it, so I have used Sound Converter to convert them to mp3's and now they are all the same format.

Thanks @stan I have tried that one but will give it another go shortly

Used rmlint...etc etc.....
n total 453 files, whereof 0 are duplicates in 0 groups.
So the problem isd in my music player/organiser.......not much 'organising' going on....in its haste to make sure no tracks are lost it has duplicated itself

yeah...confusing

I eneded up removing ALL tracks from the player, and rescanning the music folder.

Job done

Thanks for the input..... In future I will look before I leap

LOL i found debstep and i know i did not downloaded it!o_O

P.S. Oops i posted in the wrong spot.

Last edited:
Running LM 20
I have figured out a way to delete only text files in linux. I have written a C program which displays the duplicate files and deletes them only if the user desires to.

Attachments

• demo.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 196

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts