Files icons display on desktop or on side bar ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
In multiboot system, all Linux ubuntu , on startup , some file's icons display on "desktop" and some on the "sidebar".
What setup / options controls that ?

Current;y 21.04 and 21.10

Can you kindly suggest how to improve my verbal problem description ?

Also - how do I post "whole screen shot "? There seems to be no SIMPLE way to retrieve it .
isn't evveryti9ng in Linux a file ? So where is this "whole screen file "?

You should be able to just press <PrintScreen> and the system will generate a screen capture image of your display(s).

(a quick look at https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/ubuntu-desktop shows I'd expect the keypress of <PrintScreen> to run `gnome-screenshot` which will save the file in your ~/Pictures directory I'd expect; sorry I'm guessing as I don't use it often; but I have no difficulty find the file after it's made).

Icons on the desktop are those found in ~/Desktop/ in properly formatted files.

I'm not using GNOME, otherwise I'd make a change to the dock (swap the order of the two icons on it around) & look for the change on the local file-system for what's changed (it's likely a XML file).

FYI: ~ is a shorthand way of describing /home/$USER; or for me /home/guiverc

Current;y 21.04 and 21.10

The other part of that, needed, is the DE (Desktop Environment). The most commonly used is GNOME and the Distro is described as either of Ubuntu GNOME, or Ubuntu Desktop, I believe that may be what you have, is that so?

There is also Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio (used to use Xfce now uses KDE), Ubuntu Budgie and so on. So you need to clarify, because they each have their own setup, and some have distinctly different desktops apps in place.

Expanding on what @guiverc has said on GNOME Screenshot, aka Screenshot -

My 21.10 'Impish Indri' desktop looks like this

eAAvCCK.png

Note my launcher/dock/sidebar is set at the bottom, that can be effected using Settings - Appearance.

Yours is likely at left, like this

vVfzKte.png

So that is what we want to see here.

On the Desktop, the 9 dots in a square shape bottom left tips as Show Applications, click it, then start to type in

screenshot

0fIqaGC.png

Choose Screenshot

From the window that pops up, you can adjust a time for the shot to be taken, whether to include the mouse cursor, and so on.

Sb4sEQi.png

I hope you

... get the picture

Then just follow that guide I provided, linked above, to post.

Wizard

You should be able to just press <PrintScreen> and the system will generate a screen capture image of your display(s).

(a quick look at https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/ubuntu-desktop shows I'd expect the keypress of <PrintScreen> to run `gnome-screenshot` which will save the file in your ~/Pictures directory I'd expect; sorry I'm guessing as I don't use it often; but I have no difficulty find the file after it's made).

Icons on the desktop are those found in ~/Desktop/ in properly formatted files.

I'm not using GNOME, otherwise I'd make a change to the dock (swap the order of the two icons on it around) & look for the change on the local file-system for what's changed (it's likely a XML file).

FYI: ~ is a shorthand way of describing /home/$USER; or for me /home/guiverc
I think <PrintScreen> been replaced with software "Screenshot" which obviously is not accessible on dead system- only AFTER boot is done.

The other part of that, needed, is the DE (Desktop Environment). The most commonly used is GNOME and the Distro is described as either of Ubuntu GNOME, or Ubuntu Desktop, I believe that may be what you have, is that so?

There is also Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio (used to use Xfce now uses KDE), Ubuntu Budgie and so on. So you need to clarify, because they each have their own setup, and some have distinctly different desktops apps in place.

eAAvCCK.png

Note my launcher/dock/sidebar is set at the bottom, that can be effected using Settings - Appearance.

vVfzKte.png

On the Desktop, the 9 dots in a square shape bottom left tips as Show Applications, click it, then start to type in

screenshot

0fIqaGC.png

Choose Screenshot

From the window that pops up, you can adjust a time for the shot to be taken, whether to include the mouse cursor, and so on.

Sb4sEQi.png

I hope you

... get the picture

Wizard
See my next post.

OK, I know I can move the "taskbar", but my question is / was "how it is moved " to desktop. I'll ask Mrs Google "how to move taskbar to desktop" ... search that option first.

PS
Still wonder why picture is needed for such simple request.

eAAvCCK.png

vVfzKte.png

screenshot

0fIqaGC.png

Choose Screenshot

Sb4sEQi.png

I hope you

... get the picture

Wizard
Thnks for posting the pictrure of the 21.10 desktop - it show Home icon and some other icon.
Mine does too.

My 21.04 desktop show multitude files / icons.

Lets agree it is 21.04 feature and call it quit.

In multiboot system, all Linux ubuntu , on startup , some file's icons display on "desktop" and some on the "sidebar".
What setup / options controls that ?

and

My 21.04 desktop show multitude files / icons.

Is your problem solved, or if not, you are going to have to tell us more detail of what it is you wish to do?

Wiz

and

Is your problem solved, or if not, you are going to have to tell us more detail of what it is you wish to do?

Wiz
First of all - I do not "have to tell".
I have made my BEST GUESS statement and I have NO solution myself. Why else would I made the post in first place ?
Cheers

Locking this Thread while I consider further action.

Thanks to Helpers.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online