File manager w/o search box?

M

Murp

I'm trying to convert to Linux, and in every single file manager I've used (Thunar, pcmanfm, caja, Nautilus, etc.), whenever you start typing on the keyboard, a little text search box appears at the bottom-right corner of the FM. I intensely dislike this, because to get out of it, I have to hit Escape -- I can't just press a letter to skip down then use the arrow keys to browse because typing locks your focus/cursor into the text box.

I've searched and can't find a way to disable this in any of the previously-mentioned FMs. Are there any FMs that simply lack this search box as-you-type feature?

I'm actually not running Linux right now; I've only tested various live distros. Can somebody check? Can someone install Dolphin real quick, open a folder with a lot of files and press, like, 'j' or some key to see what it does?

Oh, more importantly, though - actually, this is what I should be making the topic about - are there any file managers that let you freely move icons? Like, drag them around, not aligned to a grid, overlap them, etc.? All the FMs I've tried not only have the search box, but align icons to a grid and auto-arrange them, and literally have no way of disabiling that functionality.

Not being able to find a file manager where you can freely drag icons is one of the only two things stopping me from installing Linux on my machine right this second. I could learn to live with the search boxes, but not the being unable to drag icons around willy-nilly.

Members online

Latest posts