Feedback wanted - as I answer the question of what is the best Linux distro.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yeah, it's my site:

I've seen the question so many times over the years, and I've answered it many times - pretty much exactly like I do in this article. However, I'm tired of typing it out time and time again, 'cause this question gets asked a lot...

So, I figure I'll ask for feedback, weigh the responses, and edit the article when I get time.

Well said.

P.S. I like the "smash a button" name.
P.P.S. Do I get a prize for being the first button-smasher on that article?

Thanks. I drafted it a while back, wrote it once, trashed that, and then wrote it again. I suspect it'll be edited multiple times.

I was probably inebriated when I did the smash a button thing.

No, but you do get my thanks.

I smashed 5 stars, nice work :)

Glad ya liked it. I saw, approved, and responded to your on-site comment.

Kind comment :)

In topic with this Thread, you said on your site

I got rid of some that I’d never use again or where outdated beyond the point of support.

... and in April I am going to have to get rid of some of my "babies" - Zorin 12, all the "S's" in Mint - Sarah, Serena, Sonya and Serena

...because the underlying Ubuntu support ends April 2021.

I know that in order to progress we have to move onwards and upwards, but it's a shame some damn fine Linuxes get left behind, that might have been "the best Linux Distro" for someone?

Cheers

Wizard

Or you could recreate the past.....I just installed Mint Cinnamon and then added in the KDE plasma desktop. It works surprisingly well.

I am going to have to get rid of some of my "babies"

I am moving from LXDE (18.04) to LXQt (20.04) this week - maybe. I may not have the blocks of time that I need to do so. If not this week then soon.

I am going to miss LXDE. I am going to miss it a great deal.

There are ways to keep it, but I won't bother.

Edit:

A couple of the cameras aren't working properly. Still, something you may not have ever seen in person:

(That's a very time-limited link. The days are short, but it's currently snowing. It probably won't be snowing for long.)

Last edited:
The best Linux distro imo is the one that works for computer it will be used on.

The new Linux users needs to match the Linux distro to the hardware the computer has as not all computers will have a graphics adapter that will properly run a resource heavy desktop.

The Linux user may need to purchase a wireless adapter as some wireless adapters aren't compatible Linux.

With laptops there may be other hardware that isn't compatible with Linux such as touch pads.

It is pertinent that perspective new Linux users learn some basic Linux how to prior to installing Linux in order to have a good first experience with Linux.

If the perspective new Linux user fails to learn some basic Linux how to prior to installing Linux then most likely have a bad first experience with Linux.

I've used Linux since 2014 and have found very few computers that Linux will not work on.

I use Linux OOTB on computers as old as 2007 with dual core processors and 4.0GB of memory and integrated graphics adapters and mechanical hard drives without problems.

Here's an example.
Code:
lubuntu@HP-Pavilion:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-60-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: LXQt 0.14.1
           Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GG750AV-ABA a6100y v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Lancaster v: 1.xx serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 5.19
           date: 03/04/2008
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 4400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: 2
           L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 8000
           Speed: 1200 MHz min/max: 1200/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1200 2: 1200
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G v: 1.4 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-60-generic
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169
           v: kernel port: e800 bus ID: 02:00.0                                                           
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>                                
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 37.26 GiB used: 7.17 GiB (19.2%)                                         
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS541040G9SA00 size: 37.26 GiB                          
Partition: ID-1: / size: 36.42 GiB used: 7.17 GiB (19.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1                         
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0 C mobo: N/A                                                     
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A                                                                          
Info:      Processes: 149 Uptime: 1h 00m Memory: 3.16 GiB used: 740.1 MiB (22.9%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5
           Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38                                       
lubuntu@HP-Pavilion:~$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lubuntu@HP-Pavilion:~$ sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -i size
[sudo] password for lubuntu:
        Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
        Maximum Total Memory Size: 16384 MB
        Installed Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Installed Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 2048 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Size: 2048 MB
        Size: 2048 MB
lubuntu@HP-Pavilion:~$

Do your homework prior to choosing a Linux distro and learn some basic Linux how to so that you will be able properly create bootable media to install / update and setup your new Linux distro.

Once the above is done learn how to use your new Linux distro and learn about the available software in the Linux repository's that's available to download and use.

Here's a good first article to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
New user here, not qualified to have an opinion, I just want to share my reasoning for some feedback maybe.

Linus care for the impact that his work has in the world, he is proud for Android more than anything else and it makes sense to me. Tho he doesn't seem to care for my own needs and users like me which is also understandable. So his is kinda irrelevant to me and if Debian come up with an other kernel (as they have attempted in the past) I will probably go with that one without even understanding the difference (I also hope they have went line by line the Linux kernel).

This is because the more I hear Linus talk the less I trust him and it's not because he is an introvert and disrespectful at times, I don't care about those things, there are some other details in his image and that he is not seem to care for users like me. So the best operating system for me with the few that I can grasp, it's the one that seem to care even symbolically about my needs. This is how a non expert - noob user reasons about operating systems... this is my best at this point.

Last edited:
Linux is free to use for no cost and no one is forcing anyone to use Linux.

A user makes the decision to use Linux and if the user doesn't like Linux than don't use Linux.

I don't understand how any user can complain about something that is free to download and install and use where the only cost being is the commitment of time to learn how to use it.

Don't get me wrong I can create a list of things that I don't like about Linux however I decided to make the choice to use Linux and therefore have to accept any faults that come with Linux.

Which Linux is best - The one you like the most - that is what great about Linux it's extremely customizable and if you find nothing that quite fits what you want you can build your own with all the favorite stuff you like.

I have hard time to figure out what I like in a linux distribution, much like I can't tell what I like in my torque wrench but more complicated. I know what I don't like in windows tho, user since 3.1. Maybe for start, what I want from Linux is to be absolutely nothing like windows.

I have hard time to figure out what I like in a linux distribution,
This may be of interest to you.

You can install several different Linux distros onto a single usb drive and then give each individual distro a test drive and see which distro suits your needs.

I know what I don't like in windows tho, user since 3.1. Maybe for start, what I want from Linux is to be absolutely nothing like windows.
You should be able to find a Linux distro that is different enough from Windows using the Ventoy tool.

One of the advantages of Linux is being able to test drive different Linux distros before installing onto your computer.

OFF Topic for a moment.
I can't tell what I like in my torque wrench
I remember using the old torque wrench my dad had with the needle pointer and scale that you torqued it to.

Years later I finally bought a torque wrench where you could adjust the torque on the handle which worked better in hard to see areas.

I don't understand how any user can complain about something that is free to download and install and use where the only cost being is the commitment of time to learn how to use it.

Entitlement.

Man I see so many threads in so many forums on this question. The answer I believe is the one your using... what works for you. So many different machines out there with differing results.

Just stopped using my HP DV6000 as it became too tempremental to keep using - tried many normally reliable distros on it that just ended up not working well - so I know it wasn't the distros, anyway now using Compaq Presario CQ61 with Refracta Jessie version - which runs great.

Yeah, it's my site:

I've seen the question so many times over the years, and I've answered it many times - pretty much exactly like I do in this article. However, I'm tired of typing it out time and time again, 'cause this question gets asked a lot...

So, I figure I'll ask for feedback, weigh the responses, and edit the article when I get time.

Great info!

The problem is that the "What is the Best ... ", as it pertains to anything, is unanswerable and will therefore be always asked. Yes, you're right. Our answers are always about is right/best/perfect/"in love with it" for us and will always be perfectly unsatisfactory to the questioner.

So be prepared to post your site link every day, here and elsewhere (I'm sure you are on more than one forum!). And I will always qualify my answer with "This works for me."

Now if someone were to genuinely ask for a recommendation based on defined parameters, that's a whole different story. Nah, it's not going to happen.

Nah, it's not going to happen.

In all my years doing this, I've seen only a couple of people give very, very detailed use cases when they asked the question.

It doesn't help that you can search the 'net for 'best Linux distro' and get hundreds (or more) results for 'the 10 best Linux distros' or the likes.

Either way, the link will save me some time in the future!

the only cost being is the commitment of time to learn how to use it.
So far I have learned nothing on Linux, all I do is plug and play devices and set up programs far easier than it is in windows... I did not install any drivers, I didn't search what is my hardware... If someone can't use this OS he can't neither brush his teeth

Good Article! Just a few things just opinions up to you what you do with them.
1. LFS: I wouldn't mention LFS since it's not really a distribution but more for those who want to learn the inner workings of a GNU/Linux distribution so that you can build your own distribution and most GNU/Linux users will never touch it. I have never done anything with it myself, you don't need it to get to know GNU/Linux. Instead you might want to mention Gentoo and/or Arch instead since they provide all the different building blocks where the hard works is already done and you can then choose which building blocks you want to use to build your system.

2. Scientific Linux: Scientific Linux is discontinued so after version 7 is EOL the distribution will cease to exist so I don't think it's worth mentioning.

3. SBC and HTPC: You might want to put the full name of those in ( ). I happen to know that HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Compter, but I have never heard of SBC.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts