Fedora/Pantheon - Timezone issue

AlexOceanic

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All

I've been having some issues correcting the time after just recently installing Fedora and the Pantheon DE.

I finally managed to set Local time correctly by turning off NTP and using "~]$ sudo date --set 17:58:00" but RTC and UTC are different to the Local time and, whilst the Clock shows my timezone correctly as London, UK, I just ran timedatectl and saw that the system thinks I'm in New York!

]$ timedatectl
Local time: Wed 2022-07-06 19:22:51 EDT
Universal time: Wed 2022-07-06 23:22:51 UTC
RTC time: Wed 2022-07-06 14:22:53
Time zone: America/New_York (EDT, -0400)
System clock synchronized: no
NTP service: inactive
RTC in local TZ: yes

I've checked all the system settings but can't see any options to correct this and checked this guide page but don't even know what Butane is so wondered if anyone might know the Terminal commands or other methods (synchronise system clock?) to change the system time zone please?

Many thanks

Alex

Your time zone is not in America/New_York? You can just change your timezone like this.
Code:
sudo timedatectl set-timezone Europe/London
It's better to leave ntp on as it makes sure your system syncs with other timeservers to keep the time correct.
Code:
sudo timedatectl set-ntp true

Your time zone is not in America/New_York? You can just change your timezone like this.
Code:
sudo timedatectl set-timezone Europe/London
It's better to leave ntp on as it makes sure your system syncs with other timeservers to keep the time correct.
Code:
sudo timedatectl set-ntp true
Thanks very much f33

That worked a treat and NTP re-enabled as suggested :)

]$ sudo timedatectl set-timezone Europe/London
[sudo] password for :
~]$ sudo timedatectl set-ntp true
~]$ timedatectl
Local time: Wed 2022-07-06 20:00:26 BST
Universal time: Wed 2022-07-06 19:00:26 UTC
RTC time: Wed 2022-07-06 20:00:26
Time zone: Europe/London (BST, +0100)
System clock synchronized: yes
NTP service: active
RTC in local TZ: yes

Can I just ask if theres a short timer for sudo command password entry as noticed I don't have to type in the password again if I run another sudo command a few seconds after running the first one that did require a password?

Last edited:
From the man page of sudoers.
Code:
man sudoers
The user may then use sudo without a password for a short period of time (5 minutes unless overridden by the timestamp_timeout option).
You would probably need to set that when running "visudo" but not sure if it's in seconds ore minutes, you will have to try it yourself.

From the man page of sudoers.
Code:
man sudoers

You would probably need to set that when running "visudo" but not sure if it's in seconds ore minutes, you will have to try it yourself.
Thanks again - I'll take a look.

Just wondered if there was a default timeout but that's handy to know I can change it too (although my dnf.config file appears to be locked judging by the "you cannot save changes" messages I get when opening it with a code editor using the Files application) - guessing I'll need to find a way of opening it as root from a terminal .

I just did a search on here for "The user may then use sudo without a password for a short period of time" but didn't see tany articles - is sudoers another site?

/etc/sudoers is a configuration file which you edit by using "visudo"

Members online