Fedora 38 released today.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Last edited:

Awesome! That's a new one, on time this time!

Upgraded my laptop and my desktop successfully to Fedora 38!

An in place upgrade or fresh install? In place is simple with Mint, curious how it is with Fedora.
In place upgrade, I don't believe in fresh installs on point of release distributions since you would have to do it once every 6-9 months depending on the distribution. I have got better things to do and now days with Fedora in place upgrades are a walk in the park. Switched over to Fedora 36 from Arch a while ago, did an in place upgrade when 37 came out and did an in place upgrade today to 38.

In place has been around since at least Fedora 21. There is a two version limit.
You can go from 33 to 34, or 33 to 35. But you can't go from 33 to 37.
Well, you can, but you have to do it in steps. Two versions at a time.

Our clouds VMs are on 37, but they started out as 26. They have never been rebuilt from scratch.
( one or two have, but not because of system updates )

It's gotten a lot more stable since this was written. ( 2013 )

But the process is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Just a heads up on The Spins -

I have downloaded Fedora 38 Cinnamon successfully, but the link to the verification checksums produces a 404 error currently.

For the Cinnamon DE only (I will omit the MD5 sum), they are

SHA1: 85d2cc3e22a96165752b96abbd92bd35b8227dc7

SHA256: d683f5b5be304b187d96be30738618ce1fa5c0e18a6662ce219b17bbb41b9865

SHA512: 467fd35eda60183eacf4ef14835ea19dc02a3fa09f6bf8944270b82fed7b4bc8ff5f2f4b2e06a44b

Cheers

Wiz

But the process is pretty much the same.
I only switched to Fedora from Arch a little over a year ago so I'm expecting this install to go on until I have to replace my current desktop system. So far I've just used the official previous version upgrade documentation so this time I just used the Fedora 37 documentation for upgraded replacing releaseserver 37 with 38.

In place upgrade, I don't believe in fresh installs on point of release distributions since you would have to do it once every 6-9 months depending on the distribution. I have got better things to do and now days with Fedora in place upgrades are a walk in the park. Switched over to Fedora 36 from Arch a while ago, did an in place upgrade when 37 came out and did an in place upgrade today to 38.
Same here. Never had an issue with an in place upgrade.

Upgraded my Lenovo P52 today, and upgrade went smooth. No issues, other than the annoyance that it doesnt automatically connect to my wireless network (this started in 37).

No issues, other than the annoyance that it doesnt automatically connect to my wireless network (this started in 37).

This isn't really a support thread, but what's the output from nmcli connection show?

Upgraded my Lenovo P52 today, and upgrade went smooth. No issues, other than the annoyance that it doesnt automatically connect to my wireless network (this started in 37).
You should be able to configure your wireless connection to automatically connect either through the NetworkManager GUi or through nmcli. Open a terminal and share the output of the following.
Code:
nmcli connection show MyWifi | grep autoconnect
Replacing "MyWifi" with the name of your wireless connection.

Installed fedora 38 KDE today. Went smooth working well.

Members online

Latest posts