Fedora 33 boot not working

their two different drives the m.2 is inside the computer were the windows 10 os is and the other drive
Wd-My passport 2t extral hard drive where i am trying to put the linux os on. I click esc and i come up with a list . then i press f9 it give me list of hard drive ,usb and os to choice from.

get image url from instagram

Last edited:

When you install the OS, there is a screen that says "select destination".
Sometimes, more than one drive shows up. Which do you have a check mark next to?
Make sure it's only 1 drive, not two.

OK, this is progress. So you install it to your /dev/sda drive.
This is your 1.8TB passport drive.

After this is done, is there are boot menu, so you can pick which device you want to boot from?

I see a message, bootloader not found. (I had to pause the video to see it)
I notice in your BIOS, you have USB boot set to (disabled). Is your external
connected with a USB cable? Some of the other was difficult to see.

yes it has usb cable. Usb is enable , network boot disable and secure boot disable. i might need a boot loader.

Last edited:
how to install boot loader Clover EFI bootloader or should i get something eles? ?

The boot loader gets installed, when you install Linux.
There are two kinds, one is for Legacy BIOS, and one is for UEFI.
It would be interesting to see which one is installed.

I am wondering in your BIOS, if you have both Legacy BIOS and UEFI mode enabled.
Some BIOS's let you set the mode for each device.

You might have UEFI for storage and video, but perhaps BIOS for network and peripherals.
It happens sometimes you are booted into one mode, so that's how the Linux bootloader is installed,
but then when you boot from the other device, it is looking for the other bootloader.

There are two way we can do this. I am trying to think of the easiest way.
Maybe just use windows, and see if you can open the external hard drive in file explorer.
I don't think you'll be able to see everything, but you might be able to see the
boot partitions.

Instead of setting the BIOS to boot from this device, is there another place you
can do a "one time"boot over-ride to a specific device.

Can you try to boot from your external USB drive this way?

OK good, disk 1, looks right. This is /dev/sda in Linux.
It is setup for EFI, and so is your windows.

In your BIOS, under the "Exit" screen is there a boot override option?

OK good, disk 1, looks right. This is /dev/sda in Linux.
It is setup for EFI, and so is your windows.

In your BIOS, under the "Exit" screen is there a boot override option?
[/QUO
no over ride. just a is os boot manger where windows is listed

Look at this thread USB Flash Booting, can be very handy, even if you use only Linux.

no over ride. just a is os boot manger where windows is listed
When installing to a USB/external drive, you need to disconnect the internal drive first, specially if dual booting Linux-Windows, so turn your PC off, disconnect the internal drive where windows is installed and try again. Once Fedora gets installed, shutdown the machine, connect back the internal disk, turn your PC back on, go to bios and select the drive you want to boot into; the external one or the internal one so either Linux or Windows starts. I did this a few years ago. The reason to disconnect the internal drive is that so the bootloader (grub) gets installed in the external drive and Linux can actually boot, otherwise the "boot loop" issue occurs since windows bootloader is in charge and it knows nothing of Linux.

Hope this helps! :)

i like your help . I notice somthing happing which may help out i notice a each different distro fail at different points.

The other thing I see frequently is that you might be installing to a disk with other partitions already on it. That's why I recommend formatting before install.

at this point it would be easyer to fix my old pc. my just be 10 dollar fix with fans

Members online

Latest posts