Fedora 32 Tried to enable FISH and restarted. Cant login

Taniks1618

Reaction score
Credits
Sorry if this is short but I am writing this from my phone. I was enableing the Fish shell and when I did it restarted and when I got to the login screen I signed on but it just put up a black screen and sent me back to the login screen.

G'day Taniks, and Welcome to linux.org

I am lost when it comes to shells.....but.......reboot again....maybe a few times.....

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

It would be doubtfull that "fish" was responsible for the crash.....not impossible but .....

I know even less about Fedora than I do about Fish.....however, ...

Did you by any chance have Timeshift installed on Fedora ?

It would be doubtfull that "fish" was responsible for the crash.....not impossible but .....

I know even less about Fedora than I do about Fish.....however, ...

Did you by any chance have Timeshift installed on Fedora ?
No unfortunate I wish I had it but when I fix this I am going to get one.

Last edited:
Use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to go to a login console
login as root and undo what you've done

Once you've done that, reboot and you should be able to login as usual
Use chsh -s `which fish` to change the shell

I just tried that and when I login as myself and root the text disappeared and I was prompted to sign in again.

I once encountered this problem switching to zsh. (It happened after I added something to .zshrc)
If you did not switch root account to fish shell, it should still login under it's orginal shell, which could be bash or zsh.

So you can't even login as root on vt2 or vt3? (Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-F3)

If all else fails, get a live USB. Boot from it and mount your root drive inside the live usb, to undo what you've done if it's some config changes like adding something to .zshrc

@Taniks1618 ....just before you go ahead with that.....

Do you have any data on the hard drive that must be saved ?....anything that you must not lose ??

If there is no valuable data/pics/etc etc on there, would you consider simply reinstalling Fedora ?

This means that everything on the drive would be wiped out by the fresh install.

Boot into liveusb. Launch a console.
Use lsblk to see the block devices. Eg. Your root is /dev/sda1 (figure out by its size?)

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo chroot /mnt

This should allow you to have a root user inside your root partition. Be careful what you change though

It says there is no /bin/bash... maybe that is why I couldn't login. I also got all of my essential files into my dropbox so If I need to I can do a fresh install.

I wonder if you can restore bash with yum install bash or dnf install bash

Copy out all your important data btw

Members online

Latest posts