Fedora 20 with UEFI

M

mahonco

So I'm super frustrated.

Ideally I want to get rid of my preloaded windows 8.1 and install fedora 20. I've seen plenty of threads discussing the problems but I thought since the newer fedora were licenced to be bootable with windows UEFI, it would work.

I have my live usb with fedora.
I reboot
I choose the usb as the boot device in the UEFI menu
screen goes blank as there is no signal, computer goes idle nothing, happens.

Thought maybe its just a lot of processing, left it for 6 hours, no response.

What am i doing wrong?

I don't even want UEFI or care about it, I'm happy to format the disk and hopefully the Bios will let me install fedora but i would like some clear instruction/direction because i don't want to be stuck with a piece of hardware for a couple of k that has no firmware and i can't do anything with.

Thanks,

Conor

So I tried again today with fedora 21 server and the usb booted and I installed a uefi fedora 21 sucessfully. I set secure boot to "other os". Funnily enough it can't be disabled in the menu (non active button). That worked for installation. Then I rebooted and ........... blank screen no output whatsoever.

Can it be my graphics card? or perhaps I should try and do a non efi fedora?

NVidia GTX 750 is the graphics card

thanks

So I've tried text only mode '3' in the startup in grub but no difference. Then I reinstalled and did auto partitioning, lost my efi windows partition (don't have a disk for that, its preinstalled). The second installation was basic graphics mode and now I can finally get a terminal when I use nomodeset in the grub startup but I'm still unable to get it to work. I tried yum install nvidia drivers but yum complains that one of the configured repositories failed (fedora 21 - x86_64)......and now I am down to my mobile phone :(

Just to clarify I have command line interface which is at least a step.

OK so it can't connect to WiFi. I think I'll just install a fedora desktop instead, at least with some graphical help I might get further.