[Solved] Fans ramping following fresh install of Fedora 37

Earthworm4478

Reaction score
Credits
I was using Fedora 36. No issues. Upgraded to Fedora 37 and screw the pouch (multiple issues). Moved to Ubuntu LTS for a little bit but had issues with Firefox snapd that I could not fix. did a fresh install of Fedora 37. Solved all the issues but one which is Fan ramping up when very little ressources are being used.
Did some research and came up with diag that Fedora 37 Workstation does not seem to be the issue but newest kernel. Also, I do not think I should be calling it an issue as from my digging nothing seems to be wrong but working as expected. Newest kernel seems to be putting the CPU Governor at performance (and boost ) level all the time.
What I did to mitigate the noise (unbearable):
Used 'cpupower' to put the governor to 'conservative'
Added 'up_threshold' for tunning it in /etc/tmpfiles.d/
All of the above made it bearable but the fan still gets excited for no reason.
amd_pstate is in use and am wondering if amd_pstate is the issue here ? I can't say what was used in Fedora 36 because. I never had the issue and never investigated.
Would acpi_freq make more sense ?
My priority is not performance. I do not game with this unit. Its my work machine. What I need is for the fan the keep quiet.

Maybe something here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fan_speed_control. There doesn't appear to be a consistent and reliable fan control program for laptops because of the sheer variety of them and the variations in hardware between the proprietary manufacturers. That means that one is faced with running through different scenarios to see what will work, if anything.

thanks for your reply. Sorry forgot to mention that I did try most of them at some stage but to no avail.
I forgot to mention that while distro hopping I went back to windows 11 for a short while to check if the fans were responding the same way. Strangely enough they did. They went as crazy if not crazier. This is even after install of msi soft to manually control the fans and tweaking windows to lessen the voltage and the speed of the CPU.
Finally updated the firmware to the latest (delta 15 amd) and reset smc. To no avail. There are tons of posts on the net of people complaining of thermals on that specific laptop.
If anyone with the same laptop as me could chime in that would be nice to compare notes.

thanks for your reply. Sorry forgot to mention that I did try most of them at some stage but to no avail.
I forgot to mention that while distro hopping I went back to windows 11 for a short while to check if the fans were responding the same way. Strangely enough they did. They went as crazy if not crazier. This is even after install of msi soft to manually control the fans and tweaking windows to lessen the voltage and the speed of the CPU.
Finally updated the firmware to the latest (delta 15 amd) and reset smc. To no avail. There are tons of posts on the net of people complaining of thermals on that specific laptop.
If anyone with the same laptop as me could chime in that would be nice to compare notes.
you have most likely already checked But have cleaned the fan and exhaust ports recently? and made sure the cpu is in good contact with the heatsink?

Thanks for your reply. The unit is newish. Got a deal when it came out. MSI Delta 15 (amd). In any case, I took it apart. I am crap with software but really good when when I comes to hardware. Changed the paste, removed all possible dust (there was none). Like I said in my original post, I do not think there is an issue. I think the thermals on the Delta 15 is not as good as it should be. Probably the update of the firmware didn't help. Reducing the power of the CPU/Voltage help. Before, I could access in the BIOS some hidden menu to undervolt GPU/CPU. Now its gone following BIOS update. Reading some post on the internet, amd_pstate seems to also be a hit and miss. Probably not helping either.

Promissing new settings at the kernel level (grub).
dpm, aspm, powerplay, bapm.
Fan (I am assuming here gpu fan) got a lot quiter. I thought the CPU fan was causing the ramping up but apparently it was the GPU fan. Newest kernel may have had different parameters than the one in Fedora 36 ..

seems all good in the hood. Adding all those power management settings for the GPU made the Fan quiete as I had it on Fedora 36.

seems all good in the hood. Adding all those power management settings for the GPU made the Fan quiete as I had it on Fedora 36.
Glad you got it sorted :)

Hi, can you please share the config you finally used? I am solving similar issue (fan noise after fc36 -> fc37 upgrade) but on a different laptop.

Staff online

Members online