failure to launch!

trebby91

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
Slowly finding my way around with Mint 20 after windows 7.
Slight problem I am having, in Software Manager some of the programs I have installed do not launch or show up in the main menu, just tried to load Youtube-DL if states loaded "launch" but it does not. I am obviously doing something wrong could somebody explain?
Also I notice that some folders in Software Manager are brown what is the significance of the colour?
Thanks, Barry.

Last edited:

I can help with one aspect...

youtube-dl isn't a GUI program - by default. It's installed, but it works in the terminal. In that specific case, there's a GUI available. It is conveniently called Youtube DL GUI.

Open your terminal and type 'man youtube-dl' to learn how to use it in the terminal.

If you're interested in a Graphical User Interface for it, use your favorite search engine and type in 'youtube-dl gui' and follow the links.

Also I notice that some folders in Software Manager are brown what is the significance of the colour?
Are you sure it is "Software Manager"? I see only 'icons' in mine (Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon).
Perhaps you are referring to the 'File Manager' (Nemo) or the 'Synaptic Package Manager' or the 'Update Manager'?
software_manager.png

Members online

Latest posts