BIgD63

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,
im new here and fairly new to Linux, i have a CentOS class under my belt and a little hands on experience, but i am running into things that i have no clue about all the time.
All of our Linux variants are in AWS (if that matters), this questions is about Ubuntu, but we also have Amazon Linux 2 which i understand is basically RHEL, we have some CENTOS as well and one Debian box, and everything is command line no UI on anything.
So this is Ubuntu version: 16.04.7 LTS
I get an error in AWS that says patching on this box was not successful, but it doesn't give specifics. So I assume this would be in a log somewhere, i did some googleing and found where logs were and there are a lot of them and going through them manually is quite slow, especially when i don't know what im doing.

What log file is normally holding this info, what am i looking for specifically? I am mainly a Windows user (should i admit that here?), so i would have found and fixed it by now with Windows Logs, and im sure there is something just as good here, but I am very new and know I am missing something (a lot of things really). So I need to know what log holds this info, and what I am looking for regarding failed patches, and something with enough info for me to fix it.

So im on a bit of a learning curve, so if any of you here could help disprove the old adage, and help this old dog learn some new tricks, that would be great.

Thanks All!

So this is Ubuntu version: 16.04.7 LTS
You know this version reaches End Of Life in about 6 weeks, right? It should still update, but you also need to look seriously at upgrading the whole system... soon.

@Alexzee
Here is the exact error:
Fatal Python error: GC object already tracked Current thread 0x00007f8340f10700 (most recent call first):
Fatal Python error: GC object already tracked
Current thread 0x00007f8340f10700 (most recent call first):

failed to run commands: exit status 250

I see no error logging into the linux box, but this is from the AWS side.

@Raman
I already have this setup and working for a few dozen boxes using patch baselines i made and maintenance windows, but this specific gives intermittent errors. When we log into it and apt-get upgrade it works as intended.

@stan
I was not aware actually, but i knew this was older. We have some other things I am pushing for upgrades on as well. When a linux distro reaches eol i assume patches stop being produced for it?

When digging up errors in Linux\Ubuntu, how do i know which log it is in, and from commandline only, is there an easy way to review the logs, or just edit the file and read a huge wall of text?

From looking through this Google Search there are a lot of folks with this same error.
It's a bug filed on Bugzilla with Fedora.

I wasn't able to find any solved threads that were recent. The closest was a thread dated Dec. 3, 2015:

Is this happening with Amazon Web Services in the Cloud?
If so, I'm afraid it's not my area of expertise because I don't know why it's crashing.

When a linux distro reaches eol i assume patches stop being produced for it?
As far as I know, yes. Canonical is offering Extended Security Maintenance for 3 more years, but that will cost money for commercial users. More info here. Upgrading is free, but risky sometimes... a good backup beforehand would be a good idea.

When digging up errors in Linux\Ubuntu, how do i know which log it is in, and from commandline only, is there an easy way to review the logs, or just edit the file and read a huge wall of text?
Is anything really easy in the command line? Powerful, yes, but not always easy. You need to get VERY comfortable with bash commands to parse through large files... head, tail, cat, grep, sort, and so on. Some log file names are obvious, but here are a few links/examples that may help:

https://www.plesk.com/blog/featured/linux-logs-explained/

https://www.fosslinux.com/8984/how-to-check-system-logs-on-linux-complete-usage-guide.htm

https://www.loggly.com/ultimate-guide/troubleshooting-with-linux-logs/

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/a-live-view-of-a-logfile-on-linux/

Last edited:

Members online