External HDD for BOTH Windows and Linux

Institut

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
Can you advice me how to choose a External HDD for these two (windows and Linux)?
It isn't clear on Amazon: it only says "for PC"; "for Mac"; "for Windows"; "for PS4"...Just as if Linux didn't exist!

I need to transfer files from windows to linux and to windows from linux: Which HDD would you choose (2 To) ?

Thank you

Any external drive should work just fine with Linux - but you'll have to use a drive formatting that works with Windows - like FAT32 or NTFS. Windows can't (native) read the various Linux drive formats, like EXT3/4 Btrfs, etc, where Linux can manage FAT32 and NTFS with some bit wrangling.

In Germany for example everyone who wants to buy a external HDD,can visit Markers Like Cyberport or Sometimes in Supermarkes Like "Aldi-nord".
I suppose that These device works currently in Linux,but you could Not Format These devices with "ext4" or Something Else.
Greetings

Thank you so much for your clear answers!!!
Due to covid restrictions I'm not able to go physically in stores, but I can definitely choose online between FAT32/NTFS.

Last question: I read that not all Linux softwares ("distribution" in french, I don't know the english for it) can both read and write NTFS . Which ones can do both ?
I aim at installing Kali Linux as I am taking CS lectures: using it as Ubuntu first, then more and more for security purposes. Will it be O.K ?

Just FYI. You can reformat the drive after you receive it to whatever you need. Hard drives are filesystem independent. You can put whatever you want on them. It's like repainting your car / house. :)

Dave

For example while this covid-restrictions i ordered a usb-keyboard with the Website from "Conrad online".
In this reason-i suppose,that you can visit any Internet platforms and buy IT with a possible invoice-methode?

As Dave said, format it however you want once you own it. Any distro can read/write FAT32. If memory serves, you can install software that lets you read NTFS in any major distro. I don't actually have anything that's NTFS to test again, as I don't use Windows for anything.

If you don't need large partitions, a large partition table, or large file sizes (files larger than 3.7 GB as memory serves) then FAT32 is actually adequate. Note that it doesn't support Linux permissions, but it'll work for reading and writing data.

Ok, what's the best: Toshiba or Western Digital ?
(I'll put it in FAT32 as soon as I receive it)

I don't normally recommend brand names. I can say I've owned many Western Digital drives, internal and external, with good results.

Hello,
Can you advice me how to choose a External HDD for these two (windows and Linux)?
It isn't clear on Amazon: it only says "for PC"; "for Mac"; "for Windows"; "for PS4"...Just as if Linux didn't exist!

I need to transfer files from windows to linux and to windows from linux: Which HDD would you choose (2 To) ?

Thank you

Any External HDD will work.
happy0043.gif

I have several 3TB and 4TB USB 3 External HDDs and all are NTFS (came like that) and work just fine...better in Linux than windwoes. :)
It's important to note that when you plug in a brand new External HDD into a linux system, it opens and works strait away...unlike windwoes that takes forever in install the so called "drivers".
confused0020.gif

I also have three old USB 2 External HDDs that once had never been plugged into a Linux System, the first time I plugged one in...it worked just fine and still does.
happy0034.gif

You can plug your External HDD into windwoes and copy Files...Videos etc then plug the Drive into your Linux System and transfer them with out any problems, the same goes for Flash Drives too.
happy0006.gif

Maybe i Like to tell that i have a2tb-device and i suppose the HDD will works in Mageia.but If anyone can Help me,the ventoy-usb Tool doesn't Work currently.

over 30 yrs of building, maintaining and upgrading computers for myself , friends and family, I have used all makes of harddrive and not found that much difference in reliability, if your going for a SSD
my leaning is towards the Seagate fast SSD for performance and price, but at the end of the day It's your choice and that will depend on the capacity,speed, connections and budget .

Bwiz

OK,but die anyone know,why this utility called "ventoy" doesn't Match?i only have the *.ISO from Linux and microsoft Media Creaton Tool installed in my device Windows-home(USB)
I found this Tool while downloading "Mageia-Distribution"

I will consult consumer reviews to choose HDDs.
Expect to read another post of me on which Linux distribution to choose.
Thanks for your dear help

Expect to read another post of me on which Linux distribution choose.
don't forget to tell us the make and model of your box [some distro's may work better than others]

Thank you Lord boltar for your Help,i'm Finish IT Mageia-Distribution wants to know a Keywords and soon i complite IT.more Details?
I Need the Newsletter

Members online

Latest posts