External Harddrive brands

D

dyo1

I've got to chose from two Ext. HDD brands: Toshiba and Seagate, they are both with the same specs and cost, but which should I chose?
Please answer within the next 12 hours, if possible.

UPDATE: SEAGATE HDD STBX500200 or TOSHIBA HDTB105EK3AA

Last edited:

I've got to chose from two Ext. HDD brands: Toshiba and Seagate, they are both with the same specs and cost, but which should I chose?
Please answer within the next 12 hours, if possible.

UPDATE: SEAGATE HDD STBX500200 or TOSHIBA HDTB105EK3AA

Sorry to get back a little later than the 12 hours. i personally have a Toshiba (1 terabyte) and I have had no problems with it at all. I have had it about 6 months and love it. I am not sure about any long term issues. I got it from Wal-mart with an extended warranty.

Hope this helps.

Neither
Oops! Too late!
BTW, I stay away from Toshiba and Hitachi, myself. Samsung is another matter.

You want follow-up, then. Okay.

It's mainly that versatility is preferred. With an internal 2.5" hdd in an enclosure, I have it. Also, I am not the only one to have experienced bad things attempting to reformat a Hitachi hard drive and having it, for no apparent reason, go bad and refuse to function. Hitachi may lead the way, now, for reliability on Windows machines but it has not always been that way -- and how much of this is enterprise bs and the politics involved when it comes to anything but the dominant OS in the US?

From forums I learn certain models of Toshiba won't boot to Linux and some models of Samsung laptops get bricked when Linux is installed. It is these things (coupled with bad Hitachi hdd experiences) that lead me to my previous post (which occurred simultaneously with your post stating you went with Seagate).

Samsung SSDs are the gold standard nowadays. I prepaid newegg for an 850 Pro, for instance. Personally, I cannot see why anyone would want anything else at this point in time. Other brands are catching up, however, and I have not researched such, so my comments are based solely on experience which may be lacking in some areas.

In short, I would not pay for a hard drive I could not take out of its enclosure and place into a laptop or desktop. Personal preference, that's all.

I have never had good luck with Toshiba or Hitachi.
Honestly getting a Western Digital internal drive with a USB enclosure is my prefered option.
I have a Seagate 1.5 TB USB 2.0 drive that I use for backups. Had it for about 3 years now. Works great. :)

WD for life. I know that wasn't one of the options but it should be

I've had good longevity from Seagate, but I've also heard negative reviews as well. I've had my WD 1 TB for at least 5+ years and literally dropped it upside down as it was running and its still working well. I've had a smaller 500GB Seagate for about the same amount of time that is also still running strong but hasn't moved much

WD for life. I know that wasn't one of the options but it should be

I've had good longevity from Seagate, but I've also heard negative reviews as well. I've had my WD 1 TB for at least 5+ years and literally dropped it upside down as it was running and its still working well. I've had a smaller 500GB Seagate for about the same amount of time that is also still running strong but hasn't moved much

Didn't have 250$ for 500GB, in Bulgaria that's how much the cheapest costs

Ouch that is steep. Do retailers like Newegg/Amazon not ship there?

Ouch that is steep. Do retailers like Newegg/Amazon not ship there?
Don't have a credit card, and I can't buy online (still).
I bought the HDD from a local 'tech store'.
Don't have any problems with the seagate HDD, it has quite good speed on USB 2.0

Staff online