External Drive Data Missing?

fuzbuster83

Reaction score
Credits
In the past 24 hours I've given myself a crash course in adding and sharing external drives in Linux (Raspbian). After relying on forums like this one I was able to piece together how to accomplish this since I'm new to Linux. I got 1 external drive set up and visible/writable on my Windows PC, then I set up another as a backup to the first and it worked as expected. Having those two successes I took a hard drive with data on it from an external enclosure with a failed USB interface and attached it in a new enclosure on my Raspberry Pi. It mounted and I could see it in File Manager and see every file (all videos from my Plex server) with no issue and thought to myself that was pretty easy. To make it easier to remember where/what the drive was I changed the label since these are all media files I shouldn't be breaking any paths. I then verified the label in GParted and then checked my files again with File Manager and everything was still good, I could navigate the folders and see the files. To make sure if a power outage happened everything would come back, I rebooted my Raspberry Pi. Now I cannot see any of the files/folders in File Manager. I went into GParted and checked the drive and it still shows the 2TB drive as 92% used.

I have yet to stick this drive back in a Windows machine to see if Windows' File Explorer will see the files. And I do have this data mirrored to another drive, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what happened or how to fix it so I don't have to format the drive and re-mirror 2TB of data.

I have found the issue. Somehow or another the mountpoints changed after a reboot. I didn't notice for the two empty drives because there was no data to verify and the directories were still present. The 3 drives were actually mounting to /media/pi/DriveX instead of /media/DriveX.

I think /media/pi must be like a default mount path so I will investigate how to change this after a reboot.

Members online