Ext HDD keeps renaming an atrribute in Raspbian

dualloop

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I'm very new to Linux, I have dabbled in the past but pretty anything I've picked up has been forgotten.

I'm trying to setup a media server on my Pi 4 using Raspbian & Plex Media Server.
I managed to get the software installed and the files from my ext HDD to be seen on Plex and for the software to be usable on other PCs in the house using the Pi as the media server.
However, once I have moved the Pi & ext HDD to the location in the house where it would sit, a bedroom with a wireless powerline adapter with an ethernet port, & I booted the Pi back up, Plex will no longer see the Ext HDD where all the videos are stored.
When I look at the file properties of the mounted ext HDD, I've noticed that Raspbian renamed the "File" attribute to "Films1" where the name of it should just be "Films"

I have attempted to search for an answer online but I cannot see why this happens after the Pi is powered off and back on.
The name of the ext HDD is correct and doesn't appear to have been changed.

Is Plex to blame for this and if so, are there any other recommendations you have for media server software?

Edit: the drive auto mounts itself when the Pi auto logs in & the ext HDD is formatted using NTFS.
I also renamed the default Pi user account as well, would that cause an issue?

Last edited:

I ran the command ls -la /media/Karl (Karl being what the Pi account was renamed to) and I got the below output:

total 16
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root root 4096 Jul 17 09:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jul 16 22:35 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jul 16 23:21 Films
drwxrwxrwx 1 Karl pi 4096 Jul 15 19:44 Films1

It seems like the drive is also mounting in root which might be the issue?
I can't seem to find a way to stop it auto mounting as I suspect it will each time the Pi is reset?

About mounting as root issue:

You need to manually fix it in /etc/fstab.

First create a mount point. This will do:
Code:
mkdir -p /media/<recommended parent with agnostic name like "externals">/<my partition name>
chown Karl:pi <mount point created above>
* If your software expects a certain location, just use that. This is your mount point.

Either label your hdd's media partition in gparted (recommended) or run blkid to get the UUID of the media partition.

Now add this line to /etc/fstab (use a plain text editor like nano):
Code:
LABEL="<what you labelled the partition>"    <mount point path>   <the filesystem type eg ext4, xfs, ntfs, etc>    defaults,user    0    0
If you use UUID, this will change if you shrink, change anything about the partition. Still, if you must, then use UUID=<what you got from the blkid command> in place of LABEL=.

Now, just unplug the drive and plug it in again and it'll mount fine automatically since fstab changes are updated on the fly.

About your films/ and films1/ issue:
Yes, this could have messed up your clients as they'd be looking for films/.
Honestly, just delete films/ & films1/ after unplugging the external (see below) since you'll have your own mount

About the Plex issue:
I know fk all about Plex, but I reckon to just stop the service, delete the config files, uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall and reconfigure it. I don't really use higher level stuff (I prefer lower level setups) on my home network, I use nfs-server and nfs-client and just nfs mount locations on my clients. I know it's easy for a *nix-only network, so if you are using other systems, you may need to use CIFS (or SMB). Point is mounting the media location on the client is more hassle free and I have no issues streaming (CAT6 cables, not wireless).

Would renaming the user mess with stuff?
It may mess with paths eg: /home/bob ---> /homr/alice/ but not user IDs (primary user isually 1000 on most distros.

So, ganbatte, and let us know if this slolves anything.

*PS: I'm speaking from a desktop Linux POV. I've never used Rasbian, but I assume it follows its predecessor's lead.

Members online

Latest posts