Express vpn

simple person

Reaction score
Credits
Trying to install express VPN. On Linux mint. I have an express VPN account. So I went to my account and got an activation code, copied that to my clipboard, went to terminal and typed in activate expressvpn. Pressed enter, was than asked to enter activation code, pasted that into the required field ( nothing showed in screen but was definitely in my clipboard, ) pressed enter and nothing happened. What do I do? I was on chat with customer service for express vpn and they has no solution.
Help please.
Simple

I was on chat with customer service for express vpn and they has no solution.
I used EVPN years ago, and from my understanding, you need to set up it via terminal. From the way you explained, the best way is to contact their support. Did you show the screenshot of your terminal to ExpressVPN customer support? Maybe some details are missing here.

was definitely in my clipboard, ) pressed enter and nothing happened.
How do you know the activation code was on the clipboard? Did you try copying and pasting it into a text editor first?

I tested contents of clipboard by cmd v on a separate page. Tested correctly. Customer service could not help me which us why I came over here for perhaps sage counsel from someone who has used it. I think Stan said he had used it. Here's hoping he will see this thread.

Showed screenshot customer support and he was also perplexed. He Suggested later that I change dns settings but it was midnight and did not have
the energy not inclination to do that.
Stan. Where are you?

Simple

I tested contents of clipboard by cmd v on a separate page.
When pasting into the Terminal window did you also press and hold the shift key while pasting?
If you are pressing the "cmd" key - is this on a Mac?
On a PC, when pasting into the Terminal, press and hold down the Ctrl +Shift keys then press the V key. Or use the mouse.

Hmm. There was another response which said I needed to press the shift key. I think the tech told me to do that as well ( while pressing ctrl and v. ) it still proved not to work ( pressed enter afterwards). Going to work now will try again later. Many thanks all
simple

was than asked to enter activation code, pasted that into the required field
Have you tried entering the "activation code" manually with the keyboard?
If you are entering the "activation code" in the "required field" is it still in the Terminal or in some type of window or pop-up box?
Trying to install express VPN. On Linux mint. I have an express VPN account. So I went to my account and got an activation code, copied that to my clipboard, went to terminal and typed in activate expressvpn.
Are you using some type of Express VPN installer for Linux or entering this information in to the Network Manager?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I contacted Express vpn customer service and told him i had Linux mint and wanted to kinstall express vpn and that i had an account. he walked me through the process which was supposed to work..

dear gentlemen i am new to all this. i just recently installed Linux mint on an old thinkpad and i am trying to get it set up the way i want..

i thought all my information was in my settings when i post.here at the forum as to space on my thinkpad and series of Linux minbt cinnamon i have.

ok.. so i contacted customer service and he sent me over to terminal where i performed every step he told me to as i wrote in this series of posts at this thread. please re read them.. That is the only information i know to post.. much of the language you all use, i have to go and look up.. i think i have posted sufficient information for you all to deduce what in the world i am trying to do and the things i have tried to do to accomplish this and failed.

please, will someone help me?
simple

They have a video on their Linux support page of what the standard way is to install as well as links to alternative ways. Your best and easiest option is probably using the browser add-on since you don’t seem to be too tech savvy, which web-browser do you use?

you may think it strange, but i did not take offense when you said i was not too tech saavy!!!!

thr tech support gentleman i spoke with was from express vpn itself.. we went over a whole heap of things including reviewing the page you sent me..
i have firefox and Tor.. i put the extension on firefx but it does not work the way it does on my Mac.. I can choose my location on my Mac from a whole host of places like switzerland. It is so much fun.. No i am not a technophile but i find these things very interesting and useful.
thank you for asking f33dm3bits! stellar person.. i was a gold suporter once but they bumped me off the list oh well. i do appreciate all the support and help i have received here at the forum.. you all persuaded me to jump into the lake of Linux. and i am swimmingly going at it.
thank you
simple person

Last edited:
@simple person , Stan has been away for some time, and I understand he may now be back.

Let's see ... @stan are you about, Mate?

Good luck

Wizard

Stan has been away for some time, and I understand he may now be back.
Yes, I'm back living under my rock again. It's cozy, and there's beer. ;)

I tested contents of clipboard by cmd v on a separate page. Tested correctly.
I've never used a Mac, so I can't say that this would work. The terminal is different from other applications though. Normally on a non-Mac computer, CTRL+V will paste into a document, but that doesn't work in my terminal... and CTRL+SHIFT+V is needed, as @Vrai mentioned above. And he also said above to "use the mouse"... but "right-click and paste" also does not usually work in terminal. But sometimes it does work to "middle-click" (push down on scroll wheel) to paste.... or you can click on the Edit Menu at the top of the terminal screen and choose Paste from there. Of course you must have successfully copied the activation code first, in any case. @Vrai also suggested typing in the activation code from the keyboard, and you may need to resort to that, but I know it is a long and difficult string of characters... be careful about "0 and O" and "1 and l," if you try this.

So I went to my account and got an activation code, copied that to my clipboard, went to terminal and typed in activate expressvpn. Pressed enter, was than asked to enter activation code, pasted that into the required field ( nothing showed in screen but was definitely in my clipboard, ) pressed enter and nothing happened.
I put "activate expressvpn" in bold type because that command is wrong. I suspect you actually typed the command properly, which is "expressvpn activate" because it responded to you properly asking for the activation code. When you paste it the activation code, it is normal that you do not see anything, and you just hit enter, as you did. If nothing happened, I would guess that you are not pasting from the clipboard correctly.

The short 3-minute video referenced by @f33dm3bits shows the activation steps exactly. Although you are using Linux Mint, you would still choose Ubuntu 64-bit version of ExpressVPN... unless by chance you installed 32-bit Linux Mint, then you would need the 32-bit Ubuntu version. Things like that should match, but again, you should be fine because you had no complaints about the installation steps.

I just let my subscription to ExpressVPN expire, so I can't test or verify anything with it anymore. But it is a good service and I don't have any complaints about it (other than the cost). Everyone above gave good advice, and you should be able to follow the steps from the video, and from ExpressVPN technical support people. If not, you have a 30-day window to cancel them if you can't make it work.

Good luck!

YAY! Stan is Back!! Thank you Stan!!! thank you so much! I am just muddling along and enjoying things, really!

I got an olde thinkpad.. and put Linux Mint on..
This is fun and all so new and challenging, .., who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks. I am getting on in years, but still chasing fun in Linux Land..( My tongue is always in my cheecky mouth)..
my 'other computer' is a Mac.

ok.. i like security on my devices.., I have felt safe and secure with express vpn, especially when my device is logging on in a public wifi location.

Along those lines, i just installed Tor browser on my Linux "thinkers pad"

It is my understanding that Tor may do the same thing as express vpn as far as logging on from servers in remote places, right?

would this interfere if i am using firefox and express vpn..as my alternate browser.

I am thinking of installing express vpn and installing it in such a way as it is not automatic upon start up, but instead can be used when desired. That way, when using firefox i can use express vpn. Once installed, i have to figure out the command as to how to activate it on the spot..

i need to go back to one of your original posts, Stan, where you addressed this issue a while ago in reference to express vpn, as to how you set it up. I did save that post. need to go and find it.

anyway, knowing that i have a team of folks who are happy to help is very very very helpful to me.. so thank you for checking in...

wish i could send you a beer.. , but hope my "thanks" suffices.!!

now i am going back to the drawing board to get this vpn thing right.

express vpn has been stellar on my other devices, i must admit.. does not slow things down, and always gets onto a server immediately upon log in on my mac.
cheerio
simple

went back and went through the steps again and YAY!!!!
express vpn is now installed!
thank you

your support means so much to me..
thanks again matzu, varai, wiz, ( and the other guy too), and Stan!
I very mich appreciate your taking the time to help!

simple

Last edited:
express vpn is now installed!
Glad you got it sorted out okay! :)

wish i could send you a beer..
No worries... I will have several in your honor. :)
(I have several every day anyway.)

i need to go back to one of your original posts, Stan, where you addressed this issue a while ago in reference to express vpn, as to how you set it up. I did save that post. need to go and find it.
I think that was about making ExpressVPN start automatically when you boot into Linux. You said above that you'll likely start it manually now instead. Either way is okay... just depends on your needs.

Cheers
Stan

Last edited:
Beer is better :(

Kidding - enjoy your Linux

Trying to install express VPN. On Linux mint. I have an express VPN account. So I went to my account and got an activation code, copied that to my clipboard, went to terminal and typed in activate expressvpn. Pressed enter, was than asked to enter activation code, pasted that into the required field ( nothing showed in screen but was definitely in my clipboard, ) pressed enter and nothing happened. What do I do? I was on chat with customer service for express vpn and they has no solution.
Help please.
Simple
i tried express VPN for 30 days on LMDE4 I just followed the setup instructions from Express VPN and things worked out just fine. Did you look to YouTube some time a visual helps.

@MrBlack, if you read the thread you'll see that the issue was already resolved.

You're right can't be helpful if help is no longer required, my apologies KGIII

Members online

Latest posts