Ex has accessed my computer, changed passwords including to my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreopsis

Reaction score
Credits
Besides changing passwords, closing accounts, etc, he may have done some nasty stuff to my actual computer. When yesterday I discovered my password no longer worked I had to phone my son to help me, which meant telling him some hard truths about his narcissist father. He found where to search for a foreign user and I deleted it. I also had unplugged my hard-wire (?) internet connection when I moved my laptop to another worktable a few months ago, which is likely how he got in, having seen the laptop in a different location during a short visit, along with a little help from the tenant above to whom he gave a copy of my key (he's the landlord of the building I live in) and I believe it was she who copied my computer onto a usb for him - between this and the missing items in my apartment, I call it gaslighting by proxy). Hard wire is now reconnected.

Trying to sort out what he might have put onto my laptop, I thought I'd start with ClamAv; I knew I had downloaded and even used it. However, my computer won't recognize the command. When I tried to reinstall it I got the message below, but software manager shows it installed. I've just uninstalled it and will soon reinstall it, but I'm wondering if there's something better to be doing to find the misdeeds and get control of my computer again.
Thank you
ps: a big thanks to all the people who liked and commented on previous threads. I wasn't even aware of them until today! Now that I am, I won't ignore them. I'm ever so grateful for all the assistance I've received. I'm a disabled senior alone in city I barely know.
cheers,

Try: apt install <deb name>

root@------------:~# apt install ClamAV
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ClamAV

What about wiping the hard drive and re-installing a fresh operating system?
Finding and cleaning out any "nasties" which, depending on how tech savvy your 'Ex' and his cohorts may be, could be very time consuming and difficult.

One other thing to do right away - change all your passwords!

@viara12 has the right idea, make up a new password you can remember, but your ex is unlikely to work out, don't use any variations of those you already have or have used, and use a different one for your mail to that for the computer,
save all your important files [letters, pictures etc] to an external drive, and re-install your chosen Linux,

As Vrai mentions, the safest route is to back up your files and re-install the distribution so that you get a clean start. A simple means of backing up files that matter to you is to load them on a usb or two. Then they are easy to reload into the new installation. There are other means of backing up.

A virus and/or a malware detector is useful for scanning MS files and software, but not so much for native linux files. A more serious problem for a linux installation is the furtive installation of a root kit which would give the intruder root access, often disguised so that the user is unaware of it, but is still being "observed" and perhaps tinkered with. If your suspected intruder is linux savvy, then really the best prevention is a new installation.

It's worth noting that with almost any computer, if the intruding person has physical access to the computer, the game is up since they can gain full control of it. Commonly one can just remove and replace the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS/UEFI to factory defaults, and then they "own" the computer regardless of any passwords.

Nevertheless, good strong passwords do provide a degree of protection if the hardware is also protected.

@viara12 has the right idea, make up a new password you can remember, but your ex is unlikely to work out, don't use any variations of those you already have or have used, and use a different one for your mail to that for the computer,
save all your important files [letters, pictures etc] to an external drive, and re-install your chosen Linux,
Yes, that may be the best thing to do. I've just created a new email with no auto saved password. I've been using some pretty hard passwords, but when he was able to see even the new ones, well, it doesn't really matter how strong they are. Passwords are now on a usb stick. He actually locked me out of all my emails this morning not long after I posted here via the passphrases. I was so sure he'd have changed those, but luckily hasn't - at least not the main one which I've forwarded on to the new email. Once that is done, then I'll talk to my son about your suggestions. Son told me he's working right now so I'm furiously trying to empty the emails before he checks.
many thanks,

As Vrai mentions, the safest route is to back up your files and re-install the distribution so that you get a clean start. A simple means of backing up files that matter to you is to load them on a usb or two. Then they are easy to reload into the new installation. There are other means of backing up.

A virus and/or a malware detector is useful for scanning MS files and software, but not so much for native linux files. A more serious problem for a linux installation is the furtive installation of a root kit which would give the intruder root access, often disguised so that the user is unaware of it, but is still being "observed" and perhaps tinkered with. If your suspected intruder is linux savvy, then really the best prevention is a new installation.

It's worth noting that with any computer, if the intruding person has physical access to the computer, the game is up since they can gain full control of it. Commonly one can just remove and replace the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS/UEFI to factory defaults, and then they "own" the computer regardless of any passwords.

Nevertheless, good strong passwords do provide a degree of protection if the hardware is also protected.
By files do you mean the folders and such I've created or also software I've downloaded such as the one to help me organize the novel I'm working on? Please be specific; I'm old and tech savvy.
cheers,

By files do you mean the folders and such I've created or also software I've downloaded such as the one to help me organize the novel I'm working on? Please be specific; I'm old and tech savvy.
cheers,
Everything in your home directory is a file. A directory is a file containing files. A "folder" is a directory. They are different terms for the same thing. You only need to backup your own files. Any software that you have downloaded from online, which is still available to be downloaded does not need to be backed up since you can download it again. It's time-consuming and a nuisance perhaps, but it's better to do it that way, and you get the benefit in the new installation of getting the latest software anyway when you install anew. So, I think it's the files that you have created yourself, and the files that matter like photos, documents, letters, perhaps emails (if they aren't stored elsewhere such as on a mail server online), etc.

If you have configurations that you have made which are stored in the the home directory dot files, they may be worth backing up, especially if they are complex and not easily recalled. You don't need to concern yourself with the dot files in your home directory that applications have made such as firefox or libreoffice. They will all be recreated on re-installation.

The back up can be stored on usbs in folders, just as they appear in your home directory, or you can compress them all and store them as compressed archives and then load them into the new installation and uncompress them. That may only be useful if they wouldn't fit onto whatever media you back up to say, usbs or a hard drive, or even a writeable CD or DVD. There are many means that work.

If you are uncertain, you can keep asking with more details so that more detailed suggestions can be made.

Last edited:
Please be specific; I'm old and tech savvy.
Compared to many of us, you're still a spring chicken
the applications you downloaded and installed will have to be done again, making a clean new installation will completely wipe your current hard-drive and re-format it

Compared to many of us, you're still a spring chicken
the applications you downloaded and installed will have to be done again, making a clean new installation will completely wipe your current hard-drive and re-format it
Thanks for the laugh. The last few weeks have not brought much joy. And for the link. I'll get to it and resetting my router which I hope is the reason I can't send texts on my phone. Thank goodness I had recently taken over the internet payments or I'd have to be communicating by letter!

Please allow me to keep this thread open until I'm sure I don't need more support on the transition.

No caps...

Code:
sudo apt install clamav

Last edited:
Speaking of emails. My linux.org account is with the email I'm preparing to delete today. What will happen to the thread if I update it?

ah, yes, I see. thanks! Is it instlal or install? I never know with tech talk.

sudo apt install clamav

I fixed my previous post. That's what I get for multi-tasking.

Speaking of emails. My linux.org account is with the email I'm preparing to delete today. What will happen to the thread if I update it?
I think you only need to go to your account details on linux.org and change your email address, but it won't affect the thread. I did this a while ago. When I changed my email, linux.org sent an email to my new email address to which I had to reply from that new email address before I could further write to the thread, but once the reply had been sent, all was back to normal with no effect on the thread.

sudo apt install clamav

I fixed my previous post. That's what I get for multi-tasking.
I think you only need to go to your account details on linux.org and change your email address, but it won't affect the thread. I did this a while ago. When I changed my email, linux.org sent an email to my new email address to which I had to reply from that new email address before I could further write to the thread, but once the reply had been sent, all was back to normal with no effect on the thread.
awesome. I'll do that right now

Yup, I'm in. thanks

Please allow me to keep this thread open until I'm sure I don't need more support on the transition.
It will normally stay open until you edit the title to solved

G'day Coreopsis, sorry to see you having a rough time.

Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts