Evo/Lution, An Arch Linux Installer

First time in the history of Arch Linux, a GUI installer is now available

The only problem with a graphical installer for arch is to be maintained to adapt to constant changes and that does not happen as the previous which was abandoned...

Yeah, sure, make Arch just another distro for "noobs". Sorry for that word, i haven't found any more suitable one in my dictionary i call brain. Well, Gentoo it is then. I don't need any "Ubuntu-like" community filled with people who actually don't know anything about Linux. What a pity; Arch looked really good. :(

If you can't install arch through command line then it's not for you, in my opinion its a waist of time.
Can't agree more. That's a way how Arch separate "non-too-much-capable users" from "capable ones".

you have issue, so let it go.... Linux is an opinion in some ways so be happy... Please

Further to my post above:

1) It has booted on a Lenovo Desktop, with video integrated into the m/b and is *still* installing. It didn't boot on my HP which has an Nvidia card and it didn't boot on a Thinkpad.

2) It took me hours to download the iso. It is taking me hours to install. Do I want or need a LiveDVD? Arch Linux used to have an installation script, which is now defunct. What is the absolute minimum I want for an install?

3) I have been attracted to the Razor-QT desktop because, by default, it loads the basics and NOTHING extra. I don't want or use Firefox and some of the other bits.

4) In the past I couldn't get Antergos to work...

Im confused! You help everyone I will help you too

Yeah, sure, make Arch just another distro for "noobs". Sorry for that word, i haven't found any more suitable one in my dictionary i call brain. Well, Gentoo it is then. I don't need any "Ubuntu-like" community filled with people who actually don't know anything about Linux. What a pity; Arch looked really good. :(
Nice point! 'homie'(thus between qm)

btw: r u Karol from arch forum?

3 things:

1- u r complety NUTS 'pal' (thus between qm)!

2- u r spreading FUD!!!

3- no needs to fail into paranoia, removing zeitzeist is enough, and whoopsie is really for the best!!!

Last edited:
3 things:

1- u r complety NUTS 'pal' (thus between qm)!

2- u r spreading FUD!!!

3- no needs to fail into paranoia, removing zeitzeist is enough, and whoopsie is really for the best!!!

First, are you really bringing up a post from February? You keep needlessly posting on this thread for no reason. LET THIS THREAD DIE unless there is a specific reason you keep bumping this, but page 3 has been all needless comments on already-covered points.

Second, there is nothing "FUD" about that link. GNU/Linux fans/developers/contributors have pointed out failures on Canonical's part to adhere to FSF guidelines many times to the point where a lot of people refuse to even refer to Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux distribution.

It isn't dubious information that is spread through rumor, Ubuntu's data gathering techniques are real and documented. There are multiple threads around this forum alone and numerous tech articles about it:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
http://www.osnews.com/story/24803/The_Sins_of_Ubuntu

Whether or not is it something you want to be concerned about is up to you, but people have a right to know and its something you sure as hell won't find on Ubuntu's website without diligent searching. The fact that Canonical itself isn't more upfront about it is what spreads "FUD" and the fact you mention "removing zeitzeit is enough" already proves my point. What other distros do you know of where I have to remove data-mining programs before I use it?

The only problem with a graphical installer for arch is to be maintained to adapt to constant changes and that does not happen as the previous which was abandoned...

DID u HEARD ME??? (yeah screamin)

Question: will this marvelous GUI installer make EFI boot possible after installation?

I can efi-boot Arch from flash drives (damn fast kick), but it's been a nightmare to actually install Arch with efi support into my hdd (and I know all related manuals backwards). The same goes for many other tech-savvy distributions. I'm almost heading back to Ubuntu for EFI - the problem is that its minimal install, extremely lightweight, doesn't support efi either.

I do not think that the Arch people r happy with this 'frankie'!

http://www.jeffstory.org/wordpress/?p=1220

The Facts

I’ve used Arch Linux for a little over 5 years. During this time, I contributed to the Arch community as a token of appreciation for use of the high quality, free of charge, Arch Linux distro. As an Arch community member, I contributed via the wiki, and donated monetarily. During the early years, I’d often browse the forums to read posts, reference the wiki, and read everything I could get my hands on about Arch Linux. In the beginning, my thoughts about the community were all good. As time passed however, I slowly began to feel a negative vibe from within the Arch community. The way some of the top ranking community members interacted with their subordinates began to wear on me. Many of the decisions made by the same top ranking community members also bothered me. So fast forward to today. I no longer consider myself aligned with or want to be part of the Arch community, for various reasons.

I believe it’s fair to say the Arch community is primarily oriented towards attracting users who can contribute to the Arch coding and related chores. Arch Linux discourages the casual Linux users from using Arch by the implementation of rules. One of these rules that I strongly oppose is GUI installers being prohibited and not allowed to be discussed on the forums.

This post lasted around 5 minutes before being deleted…..

Arch.forum_.Fu-rch.png

What about those who just want a faster and less time/attention demanding install, so they can continue with other activities? Is there any other automatic way of installing ARCH?

Couldn't a GUI install help?

What about those who just want a faster and less time/attention demanding install, so they can continue with other activities? Is there any other automatic way of installing ARCH?

Antergos (from which FU-rch derived) and ArchBang also perform clean Arch installs, through GUIs. Purists will state otherwise, but in the end you get pure Arch with some ascii art (logos) that won't harm. In case you want to go a little further... It's much easier to trim down these almost bare-bones operating systems to a completely "clean" Arch than following the traditional setup guide - that I find great anyway.

Manjaro...

Members online

Latest posts