Evo/Lution, An Arch Linux Installer

So is your installer in fact just the Antergos installer without the Antergos repos and configurations...?

No, my installer is called Fu-rch and it installs Arch, not Antergos.

As for what would Antergos be without the Antergos repos and configurations? If you're referring to the Antergos install DVD, seems most likely broken and unusable.

Download times are completely related to speeds. If you downloaded it from my home server (no longer available there because of speed restrictions), it took you around 2.5 - 3.0 hours. If you downloaded it from the sourceforge site, it will take about 15 min to download the Fu-rch DVD.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/furcharchlinuxguiinstaller/

The installer downloads all the packages to create your install, so again, the time it takes to install depends entirely on your download speed.

FYI: have you got into the bios to check the boot order on your unsuccessful installs? If video drivers or any package for that matter need changed, just open the READ.ME file on the desktop of the install DVD. It tells you how to alter the individual packages installed during installation.

Last edited:
Antergos works just fine for full disk installs. It's the cleanest Arch-based distribution in my experience.

I haven't tried Fu-rch installer yet, but I will.

:confused:

Methinks you miss the point of Arch. Of course, that is merely my opinion.

OK you got me there .. lol My spell check works fine, it's the user (me) who needs fixed.

I understand the Arch way, I just don't agree or comply to it. Arch is an excellent, stable distro that I chose to use. I'm just not aligned or agree with the Arch community and the Arch way.

I'm proposing an "alternative Arch community" with different ideas. A community which prioritizes the needs of the users, rather than the current Arch community which prioritizes the needs of the developers, maintainers, programmers, etc.

No, my installer is called Fu-rch and it installs Arch, not Antergos.
Oh I see... I read this in your blog and assumed from that that your installer is based on the "cnchi" installer (developed by Antergos)?

The Fu-rch installer is based on the cnchi installer developed by Antergos Linux

Oh I see... I read this in your blog and assumed from that that your installer is based on the "cnchi" installer (developed by Antergos)?

Here's the entire quote from my blog:

I strongly believe in giving credit to where it’s due. The Fu-rch installer is based on the cnchi installer developed by Antergos Linux. These guys have obviously put a lot of good ideas and hard work together into creating the cnchi installer and I want to congratulate them on doing a great job.

As for your previous question, I stand by my answer to it. My installer is called Fu-rch and it installs Arch, not Antergos.

So again, I make reference to and praise the Antergos project in this thread. My project is based on theirs, Arch, GNU, Linux, bash, Xorg, etc, etc. ...

I'm not sure what your point is or what you're getting at, but just in case you didn't know I'll try to explain something to you. Most Linux related and open source projects utilize already written code, modify it, and then reuse it it. Thats why open source projects use the various open source licenses, such as the GPL3 in this case. Most of the Linux distros out there reuse, I would guess, 90+ percent of the code base in their distro. All use the Linux kernel, which again guessing, less than 10 percent actively participate in the development of.

So, how did the Fu-rch installer work for you?

I have to disagree with all of Arch Linux geeks old way of thinking, enjoying an OS is not just a matter of making a battle to perform a clean installation. I remember, I fought for 2 days to get this OS installed, hours of frustration and yes I was very proud when it finally installed and I have to agree I learned a lot throughout this process. Arch will still be Arch and it will still require some knowledge to get the system running and keep it running. Jeff has done an amazing job to at least attract the ones who were reluctant to install it. Now they can do it and it will be up to them to decide if this OS is made for them or not.

I am really jealous of your work Jeff, you can certainly be proud of yourself.

Now they can do it and it will be up to them to decide if this OS is made for them or not
It could be easily argued that one will know if the distro is for one after going through the installation procedure. It gives one an idea of what to expect after installation.
Arch will still be Arch and it will still require some knowledge to get the system running and keep it running.
Perhaps related to the above point?

It could be easily argued that one will know if the distro is for one after going through the installation procedure. It gives one an idea of what to expect after installation.
Perhaps related to the above point?

You won't ask someone to build a car from scratch if he just wants to learn how to drive.

You won't ask someone to build a car from scratch if he just wants to learn how to drive.
You also wouldn't give someone a manual transmission car without showing them the basics of working it. Or a license without making sure they know the rules/laws of the road.

I have to disagree with all of Arch Linux geeks old way of thinking, enjoying an OS is not just a matter of making a battle to perform a clean installation.

Also I'm not sure how this is an "old way of thinking" considering this is still how Arch functions. There are hundreds if not thousands of increasingly "user-friendly" distros new users can choose from. I don't think it is unreasonable to have distros geared for other functions. Arch is one of the few distros left that values simplicity of design above user-friendliness. There are many user-friendly and minimal distros. If a user really has to have the clean design and barebones minimalism of Arch I don't think its at all unreasonable to expect that user to devote the time and energy necessary to learn to install and use said system.

Forums like these are already too filled with basic questions a simple Google search or glance at a man page could easily answer. If an Arch newbie goes to the archlinux.org forums asking "How do I install something with pacman" or a similar question it will be a anger-filled feeding frenzy.

Last edited:
It is amazing that with all the distros available that provide so-called "out-of-the-box" systems designed for people to use without having to "build the car from scratch," many people decide they want to use the distros that expect users to know how to build the car, but want those systems made easier like the easy to use systems.

To expand on MickeyD's correct analysis, the Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and Crux ways of doing things are not old ways of thinking. They are different ways of thinking. As are the Ubuntu and Debian ways. Different strokes for different folks. Different distros cater to different demographics. If one is unhappy with a distro, it is much more logical to switch to a distro one does like than to advocate for the distro changing to emulate another one. There is plenty of choice, but some are afraid to use it.

Congrats pal! two things:

could U do this WONDERFUL installer for Gentoo?

I do not think that the Arch people r happy with this 'frankie'!

Members online