Evo/Lution, An Arch Linux Installer

I don't think Arch needs a graphical installer because then it is not Arch. :confused:

Antergos is Arch with a graphical installer. It comes with an extra repository and an extra kernel, but you can't say it's not Arch. You can comment out that repository on pacman.conf and just load untouched Arch kernel during boot (by default). :D

I don't think Arch needs a graphical installer because then it is not Arch. :confused:

Yes, it is in fact Arch Linux.

Fu-rch downloads all the packages you chose during the install, only from the Arch repos, then installs them to where you select. No additions or non default configurations on any installed packages.

The end result is exactly the same as if you go through installing manually via the official Arch (Arch Install Scripts) AIS, then install the same packages you chose using Fu-rch.

Now how you define an Arch install could be subjective, based on your opinion. For you, this may include the initiation ritual of the manual install process using the AIS. I can respect that opinion.

My guess is many would disagree with this though.

As far as regarding whats on your HDD in the end ...... the results are the same.

Antergos is Arch with a graphical installer. It comes with an extra repository and an extra kernel, but you can't say it's not Arch. You can comment out that repository on pacman.conf and just load untouched Arch kernel during boot (by default). :D
Antergos is exactly what you say and is truly awesome. In my opinion the best, fully Arch compatible, unmolested, and under appreciated Arch derivative.

As you point out though, they have the following differences from Arch.

1) a name, Antergos
2) pre-configurations that differ from Arch package defaults
3) their own repo

This is probably as close to Arch as a derivative distro comes, and for most, would likely be a better choice than authentic Arch via using the Fu-rch installer.

Antergos has an established team of developers, I don't. Antergos has an established community, I don't. Antergos installs a beautifully configured desktop, Fu-rch doesn't.

Last edited:
Forgot to thank you guys for the comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. This project will be steered in the direction the users want.

I'm a regular, non uber geek, 5+ year Arch Linux user and former contributer, proposing a project with the goal of Making Arch Both Easy and User Friendly.

I have none of the typical traits of a great coder, programmer, developer, such as not listening to the user base. (think Gnome3)

One more thing I should point out to avoid any confusion. The live DVD, Fu-rch can not install any of the whats on the .iso. The live Arch Linux based OS on the .iso is only a platform to run the Fu-rch installer program.

Last edited:
Antergos is exactly what you say and is truly awesome. In my opinion the best, fully Arch compatible, unmolested, and under appreciated Arch derivative.

1) a name, Antergos
3) their own repo
Antergos pre-configurations: installing WMs, DEs, basic FOSS drivers, an extra repository, a custom kernel that they don't push on you (extra boot option), and pacmanxg, a nice gui for pacman and yaourt.

I'm probably trying Fu-rch to simplify future ARCH installs anyway, thanks for that.

Most ARCH users prefer the ancient ways, but this tool may come handy to spread this rock-solid fast distro. I'll probably tell some of my 'buntu friends to go for it. Old school will get annoyed :p

As an old school 'Arch'er I can say I do enjoy the ritual of the command-line install and I can't imagine Arch any other way. My first successful Arch build was a challenge and when I had a working OS and then a working GUI I'd never been as proud of installing anything in my life.

That being said I think Fu-rch is a great idea. I think with the continued debates about the ethics of Canonical and the increase in in bloatware/spyware (*cough*) I'd like to be able to suggest a more minimal distro that is still easy to use, but those two things usually don't go hand-in-hand. I think its quite a challenge and although its not for me, it would no doubt help bring Arch to the masses.

Although unless you have the entire dev team behind Arch helping you I'd still consider it a derivative, but theres nothing wrong with that. Let Arch be Arch to the loyal, but bring it to the masses in a new way.

Last edited:
I still tend to distro-hop depending on my needs. A more convenient way to get Arch up and running is welcome.

I might even learn some things from watch Fu-rch run and install.

I do have a question for you @Jeff Story Does your installer require Internet? If it does not, that would be awesome. The one thing I would like is an easier way to install Arch without an Internet connection .

I am not opposed to this graphical installer in the slightest. A really kool concept. I just feel like it takes away from the excitement of installing Arch. :p

Is the sourcecode for the installer online somewhere?

I do have a question for you @Jeff Story Does your installer require Internet? If it does not, that would be awesome. The one thing I would like is an easier way to install Arch without an Internet connection .

I am not opposed to this graphical installer in the slightest. A really kool concept. I just feel like it takes away from the excitement of installing Arch. :p

Is the sourcecode for the installer online somewhere?

The installer needs to download all the packages it installs from the Arch repos, so yes it needs an internet connection.

That being said, I'm sure the installer could be redirected to download everything from local repos you could set up, and even repos you could add to the live DVD.

I have no interest in building a static Arch installer because Arch moves too fast for that. I would constantly have to update the installer to keep up with Arch. After Fu-rch installs Arch, there are no package updates required.

The code is available on my website and will be available on github in the future.

If you can't install arch through command line then it's not for you, in my opinion its a waist of time.

Well Tux1342 , you're certainly entitled to your opinion, however, the 151 people that have downloaded it this week would probably disagree with you.

My advice to you would be don't waste your time, mine time, or the readers by parroting the Arch way. The Fu-rch project has different and nearly completly opposite goals from Arch.

We're all about making Arch user friendly and easy for the users, rather than for the developers.

Also in case the temptation to download and use the Fu-rch GUI installer overwhelms you, don't worry, I won't tell anyone! You also need to research and reconfigure your Arch Linux spell checker. That would likely be less of a"waist" of time than your comment here.

Aww just kidding on that last couple points, and thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Hmm. Tried it on one desktop and one laptop. It doesn't Boot for me. Need to try it on other computers.

1) a name, Antergos
3) their own repo
So is your installer in fact just the Antergos installer without the Antergos repos and configurations...?

Further to my post above:

1) It has booted on a Lenovo Desktop, with video integrated into the m/b and is *still* installing. It didn't boot on my HP which has an Nvidia card and it didn't boot on a Thinkpad.

2) It took me hours to download the iso. It is taking me hours to install. Do I want or need a LiveDVD? Arch Linux used to have an installation script, which is now defunct. What is the absolute minimum I want for an install?

3) I have been attracted to the Razor-QT desktop because, by default, it loads the basics and NOTHING extra. I don't want or use Firefox and some of the other bits.

4) In the past I couldn't get Antergos to work...

Members online