eve online on ubuntu (macbook pro)

Reaction score
Credits
so i got a macbook pro off of ebay......(no os go figure) downloaded high sierra..... got as far into the installation as choosing a hard drive but nothing showed up... so... i thought fuck it... lets try linux... it should work... it does... and all i want to use this macbook for is eve online....tried this tutorial which has never failed me

tried wine64.... tried playonlinux, tried lutris(not that i know how to use it)... nothing works... no eve online 4 me...

please help

so i got a macbook pro off of ebay......(no os go figure) downloaded high sierra..... got as far into the installation as choosing a hard drive but nothing showed up... so... i thought fuck it... lets try linux... it should work... it does... and all i want to use this macbook for is eve online....tried this tutorial which has never failed me

tried wine64.... tried playonlinux, tried lutris(not that i know how to use it)... nothing works... no eve online 4 me...

please help

I actually played some Eve Online through steam using proton, worked really well with no issues. Have you tried that?

Cant comment on the lutris configuration as I did not use it.

ive searched google on how to install proton.... found nothing

Do it like this:

Step 1: Download Steam and Install, then login
Step 2: Download the Eve Online game from your library
Step 3: Right click on Eve Online -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Select a Proton version to use.

I am currently using the Proton-6.14-GE-2. This is a custom proton version that you can download from here: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom

Once done, you should be able to launch Eve Online with no issues:

1629392865085.png

1629392912461.png

tried steam too... under compatibility... eve online is listed under OSX and windows only....go figure

"Then a miracle occurs"......

That's specific enough for me !

Are you able to give a bit more of a description as to what is actually happening?

all proton version failed to start eve online

it’s hard to recommend a course of action as this is not much detail.

when you try to launch the game… what happens? Does it open and then close? Does it ever open?

if it closes, are there any errors? If you open a terminal and run journalctl -a -p err do see any errors related to the game? If so what are the errors?

We don't just close threads, as a general rule. We do sometimes mark them as solved if they're solved, though ideally the person who opened the thread will do that.

Cant comment on the lutris configuration as I did not use it.

lutris is just a place that stores your games and it wine configurations to make it work in linux. aswell some other setting to make it work with graphics. their a guide on their website with several distros on their , if you get stream working u dont need lutris ,that for game that are not on steam

Sorry for my late reply!

I wish I could provide more detail, but without seeing any logs or getting a better description of what is actually happening, is hard to tell you what to do. Game not launching could be hundreds of different reasons why...

All I can say, is that I followed the steps I listed above on both Fedora and now Manjaro, and in both cases it works.

Some areas to look at:

1. Make sure your GPU drivers are installed, unless you have an integrated GPU
2. Check for errors when you're trying to launch the game. Look in journalctl (journalctl -a -p err)
3. Try opening other games to see if they launch, you might have a common problem across all games and not just EVE online

tried lutris using the websites instructions.... didnt work... didnt even install anything other than an empty folder

Staff online

Members online