Errrr I just couldn't let well enough alone

U

URDRWHO

Several days ago I posted about my video problems

http://www.linux.org/threads/video-...a-hp-pavillion-zv5000-laptop.7568/#post-26878

I did some things and it was to a point that it was working perfect, booted up perfect, ran perfect and closed down perfect.

And then.........................

Then I decided to check on updates and there were a few, they didn't seem like big updates, they were system update.

Now the computer doesn't shut down well, it boots into a not-so-good log in screen and well......I shouldn't have touched a thing.

I just like to keep things up to date and I should have kept my fingers away from the updating.

Several days ago I posted about my video problems

http://www.linux.org/threads/video-...a-hp-pavillion-zv5000-laptop.7568/#post-26878

I did some things and it was to a point that it was working perfect, booted up perfect, ran perfect and closed down perfect.

And then.........................

Then I decided to check on updates and there were a few, they didn't seem like big updates, they were system update.

Now the computer doesn't shut down well, it boots into a not-so-good log in screen and well......I shouldn't have touched a thing.

I just like to keep things up to date and I should have kept my fingers away from the updating.

Can you get a Photograph of the screen, so we can see what it looks like.....? :)

reply #5 on the link that I gave in my post has some pics. You really don't get a full view of the problem (when it is happening) becuse it takes a pic of the screen and if it thinks the screen is only 2/3 of the entire screen that is all it takes a pic of.

If I used a camera shot I could show the real look.

Last night I decided to update from 14.04 to 14.10 --- thinking that maybe whatever is broken will get over written.

All I ended up with is 2 gig less space on my hard drive.

Next thing I am thinking is to remove all of it and do a clean install.

When I go to Muon I see there is some upgrade but when I click on it I get --

Code:
Unable to mark upgrades. Some upgrades may have unsatisfiable dependencies at the moment, or may have been manually held back.

Can you get a Photograph of the screen, so we can see what it looks like.....? :)

This is solved. I went through the process of deleting partitions, creating partitions and installing 12.04 LTS. Everything works fine.

Not sure what I am missing from not using 14.04 but I am happy with where I am now. Plus the screen resolution is better than it was in 14.04 LTS.

reply #5 on the link that I gave in my post has some pics. You really don't get a full view of the problem (when it is happening) becuse it takes a pic of the screen and if it thinks the screen is only 2/3 of the entire screen that is all it takes a pic of.

If I used a camera shot I could show the real look.

Last night I decided to update from 14.04 to 14.10 --- thinking that maybe whatever is broken will get over written.

All I ended up with is 2 gig less space on my hard drive.

Next thing I am thinking is to remove all of it and do a clean install.

When I go to Muon I see there is some upgrade but when I click on it I get --

Code:
Unable to mark upgrades. Some upgrades may have unsatisfiable dependencies at the moment, or may have been manually held back.

That's what I meant, silly..... :D

This is solved. I went through the process of deleting partitions, creating partitions and installing 12.04 LTS. Everything works fine.

Not sure what I am missing from not using 14.04 but I am happy with where I am now. Plus the screen resolution is better than it was in 14.04 LTS.

Hmm..... Ok, then..... :\ Well, at least you solved it....... :3

I have a stack of ISO's for different distros but I liked Kubuntu with its KDE. I've installed some of them. On a Lubuntu install, even though it wasn't supposed to, on installation it destroyed my 1st partition. Lost my WinXp stuff and with some good forensic software I got 90% of it back. Not going there again!

Members online