Error with libbost

zermelovac

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,
I am quite new to linux and need some help. I am using SageMath which is based on python (version 8.9 with python 2.7) and when I try to import a module (which has some c++ in i guess) i get this error:

ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_python38.so.1.71.0: undefined symbol: _Py_tracemalloc_config

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks

The fix in that link seems inherently dangerous to the point it could break things in your core system if things go sideways. (Python is used as glue in today's Linux systems as Perl used to be)

Something I would like to point out is you noted you are using SageMath version 8.9 and it uses Python 2.7, but the error message says otherwise by saying it cannot find libboost_python38.so which suggests it's trying to find libboost for Python 3.8, not 2.7.

Python 2.7 and Python 3.8 a deep core differences, even though Python 2.7 was a stepping stone for the changes in Python 3.x

It would be nice if SageMath came prepackaged with it's own required libraries if necessary to prevent version conflicts.

That python boost module isn't part the default RHEL installation so I doubt it will be on other distributions, so if it was installed it was done manually so I doubt it would break the core system.
Code:
boost169-python2.x86_64 : Run-time component of boost python library for Python 2
boost169-python3.x86_64 : Run-time component of boost python library for Python 3
Also we don't know the rest of OP's setup, I just posted the link to let the OP know that doing a search on their problem may give them an answer as someone else may have come across the same problem.

That python boost module isn't part the default RHEL installation so I doubt it will be on other distributions, so if it was installed it was done manually so I doubt it would break the core system.
Code:
boost169-python2.x86_64 : Run-time component of boost python library for Python 2
boost169-python3.x86_64 : Run-time component of boost python library for Python 3
Also we don't know the rest of OP's setup, I just posted the link to let the OP know that doing a search on their problem may give them an answer as someone else may have come across the same problem.
Yeah, I was just referring to the link provided where it says he fixed it by uninstalling libboost packages along with anaconda and then reinstalling them again. Not sure how that *fixes* it since it would (I would think) install the latest version of libboost which would (or I should say *should*) be the same library that a system update would have provided.

That said, who know what was actually happening. That person very well could have have installed a new version of python from source that was causing a conflict. I almost always have "altinstall" of Python to get specific versions without inflicting distro compatibility issues.

Members online