Credits
When i boot my mint it just opens a prompt written initramfs

it just shows 2 errors

initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed

and when i type exit

Gave up waiting for root file system device

can someone please help me, i dont know what is causing or how to fix
Capturar.PNG

I found this...https://masterinformers.com/initramfs-unpacking-failed-decoding-failed/ with DuckDuckGo.

I've never had this problem myself...so hope this helps, did you upgrade from Mint 19.3 ? ;)

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on my main Drive but I have Cinnamon 20 on a spare Drive but it's a clean install, I never Upgrade as it can cause problems.

When I install Linux Mint and get it the way I like with Software, Web Browsers etc...I'll create an Image of the Drive which is stored on an External HDD with either Macrium Rescue Media or Foxclone. :) So should any disaster strike, especially HDD or SSD failure nothing is lost. :)

Last edited:
You could try this...
Paste this into a terminal:

Code:
xed admin:///etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

Change COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip

Save the changes then:

Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u

and then reboot. ;)

When I install Linux Mint and get it the way I like with Software, Web Browsers etc...I'll create an Image of the Drive ...

+1

That's the way to do it. That is my 'major malfunction' backup - though I seldom need it.

I also preserve /home with regularly scheduled backups, including off-site backups.

I'll also not store files directly on the computer, but will work with them remotely. The remote storage is backed up regularly and can be accessed from multiple devices.

+1

That's the way to do it. That is my 'major malfunction' backup - though I seldom need it.

Creating an Image of the System is just common sense, yet people don't do it. :confused:

It's saved a few times when I've done something stupid, I once was playing with Gparted, when I rebooted I got a massage...No Media Found.

Rather than spend days, weeks or more on the Net on another computer trying to find a fix I just put the stored Image back on the Drive and I'm up and running in 15/20 minutes...simple.

I've been using computers for a very long time. In that time, I'd say the most important thing I've learned is to keep adequate backups. So, I'm a little bit picky with regards to my backups.

Remember, an untested backup is not a backup at all.

I learned this lesson best when I lost not only significant data but data that also had financial value. I figured I'd take my work home with me, so I could actually see my family for a change. We had a massive electrical storm which even managed to kill hard drives that weren't even powered on. I'd popped a couple of drives out of their boxes so that I could take them home and work with them. Sadly, it was my company and I couldn't fire myself. I sent them out for professional recovery and they were unable to recover most of it.

I'm pretty sure I've not forgotten to backup since then.

OP,

Did you resolve the problem ?
If so, please tell us because it could help others. ;)

Members online