Error - pkgs with unmet dependencies

Sorry, I misstyped the last command, I corrected the post. It should be:
Code:
df -h /boot

lol
christina@christina-K53U:~$ df -h /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 290G 26G 250G 10% /

Ok. Your system doesn't use a separate /boot partition, and there's enough space. So must be something else.

Let's try to find if the perl files reported in the error message are there:
Code:
ls -lh /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm
If that returns empty, try with:
Code:
sudo updatedb
locate Question.pm

Last edited:
Ok. Your system doesn't use a separate /boot partition, and there's enough space. So must be something else.

Let's try to find if the perl files reported in the error message are there:
Code:
If that returns empty, try with:
Code:
updatedb
locate Question.pm

Sorry to be slow, had to do chores.... first one comes back with this:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ ls -lh /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm': No such file or directory

Should I do the second one?

Yes, please

Second says this:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ updatedb
updatedb: can not open a temporary file for `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db'
christina@christina-K53U:~$
I will go to the third now

Yes, please
This is third command:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ locate Question.pm
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22/Net/DNS/Question.pm
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm

According to the ls output the file is missing. I think this could bring back the missing files:
Code:
sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" install --reinstall debconf

I suspect a filesystem or hard disk error could be involved.

According to the ls output the file is missing. I think this could bring back the missing files:
Code:
sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" install --reinstall debconf

I suspect a filesystem or hard disk error could be involved.

And we are back to the error....
christina@christina-K53U:~$ sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" install --reinstall debconf
[sudo] password for christina:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic : Depends: linux-image-4.4.0-112-generic but it is not going to be installed
linux-image-generic : Depends: linux-image-4.4.0-112-generic but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Yes, I think my computer is failing... it is getting old, I can't even get to the bios anymore so I can boot to a flash drive to reinstall.....

If you don't mind, check if the file is in place:
Code:
And also try another time these commands, providing its output:
Code:
sudo apt clean
sudo apt update

I'm back, but also have some chores to do. Welcome @nuna, and thanks for jumping in! By all means, take the lead and see where you can get with it. I will keep checking in to see how it's going. Hang in there Christina! :D

If you don't mind, check if the file is in place:
Code:
And also try another time these commands, providing its output:
Code:
sudo apt clean
sudo apt update

christina@christina-K53U:~$ ls -lh /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm': No such file or directory

sudo apt clean does nothing
and here are screen shots of the other

Screenshot from 2018-01-28 18-28-26.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-28 18-27-44.png

tualatrix ppa seems to still be there, can you remove its entries (if any still left) by the instructions in previous posts?
Also, download debconf and try to install it:
Code:
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf_1.5.58ubuntu1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i debconf_1.5.58ubuntu1_all.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

@Christina, I won't be able to get back to you until tomorrow.
@atanere, I think it would be useful to check the Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status, and this link is also worth checking.

tualatrix ppa seems to still be there, can you remove its entries (if any still left) by the instructions in previous posts?
Also, download debconf and try to install it:
Code:
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf_1.5.58ubuntu1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i debconf_1.5.58ubuntu1_all.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

@Christina, I won't be able to get back to you until tomorrow.
@atanere, I think it would be useful to check the Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status, and this link is also worth checking.

Ok, removed it an when I tried to close got this:

The information about available software is out-of-date

To install software and updates from newly added or changed sources, you have to reload the information about available software.

You need a working internet connection to continue.

I do have a working internet connection lol so do I just close this?

Okay, thanks @nuna! I've got to work day shifts tomorrow (12-hr shifts) so maybe we can play tag-team to try to get this resolved. I've got some days off at the end of the week which will give me more time.

Hi again Christina! If you removed those two references to "tualatrix" in "Software & Updates"... then let's just reboot and see where we're at. After a reboot, run the "sudo apt-get update" command again, and that should make sure the "tualatrix" references are gone. And if not, let's get rid of them.

Okay, thanks @nuna! I've got to work day shifts tomorrow (12-hr shifts) so maybe we can play tag-team to try to get this resolved. I've got some days off at the end of the week which will give me more time.

Hi again Christina! If you removed those two references to "tualatrix" in "Software & Updates"... then let's just reboot and see where we're at. After a reboot, run the "sudo apt-get update" command again, and that should make sure the "tualatrix" references are gone. And if not, let's get rid of them.

Sorry, have a sick hubby and will have to finish dealing with this tomorrow.....

Sorry, have a sick hubby and will have to finish dealing with this tomorrow.....

OK, hope he feels better soon! We'll sure do our best to get this resolved for you. And when you get a chance, maybe describe also why you can't boot on a flash drive or access the BIOS. If hardware really is failing, we may not can do much. But we'll find out when you have more time.

Cheers

OK, hope he feels better soon! We'll sure do our best to get this resolved for you. And when you get a chance, maybe describe also why you can't boot on a flash drive or access the BIOS. If hardware really is failing, we may not can do much. But we'll find out when you have more time.

Cheers

That looks better, now what...

Screenshot from 2018-01-29 07-48-18.png

Hi Christina. I'm at work, so I will be hit or miss today. Let's see if the error still shows up, so we will kind of start over... see what "sudo apt-get upgrade" does now.

Hi Christina. I'm at work, so I will be hit or miss today. Let's see if the error still shows up, so we will kind of start over... see what "sudo apt-get upgrade" does now.

Sorry for the delay, had to get chores done. Here it is:

[Image removed for privacy reasons]

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. It was wishful thinking that maybe some of the things we did yesterday might have cleared the errors after rebooting. I'll Google around again and hopefully not chase the wrong rabbit today (but they all look alike, so they may fool me :confused::D).

While I'm looking, see if these commands return any values:

Code:
which perl
which perl5
which debconf
which Debconf

Members online

Latest posts