Error - pkgs with unmet dependencies

Christina

Reaction score
Credits
I have an error I can't seem to fix lol.... error message is: 'Error: BrokenCount>0' I ran 'apt-get -f install' and 'apt autoremove' and got this:
Screenshot from 2018-01-28 08-29-28.png

Hi Christina... welcome back! Sorry to hear that you've run into trouble. What were you doing when all of this began? It kind of looks like you were in the middle of an update, or maybe trying to install a new program? The screenshot seems to have scrolled off the top, so we can't see anything else there that might help.

Just to double-check... you did use "sudo" with the "apt autoremove"... right? Like this (with no quotes):
Code:
sudo apt autoremove

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

Cheers

Hi Christina... welcome back! Sorry to hear that you've run into trouble. What were you doing when all of this began? It kind of looks like you were in the middle of an update, or maybe trying to install a new program? The screenshot seems to have scrolled off the top, so we can't see anything else there that might help.

Just to double-check... you did use "sudo" with the "apt autoremove"... right? Like this (with no quotes):
Code:
sudo apt autoremove

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

Cheers
It happened after an update. Said some of the pkgs could not be installed then when I restarted it came with the error. I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and yes I did use 'sudo' This is exactly how: sudo apt autoremove
I had previously ran: sudo apt-get -f install to fix the error and it told me to do the autoremove

Last edited:
It happened after an update. Said some of the pkgs could not be installed then when I restarted it came with the error. I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and yes I did use 'sudo' This is exactly how: sudo apt autoremove
I had previously ran: sudo apt-get -f install to fix the error and it told me to do the autoremove

Was the output in the screenshot from using the "sudo apt autoremove" command? Or something else?

Was the output in the screenshot from using the "sudo apt autoremove" command? Or something else?
That was after the sudo apt-get -f install
I took new screenshots showing the full msg after I ran it again:

Screenshot from 2018-01-28 13-47-40.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-28 13-48-36.png

Okay. It seems like its trying to get rid of old kernels (which is fine) but it seems to be hanging up on a Perl library, or something with Perl (which is a scripting/programming language).

What do you get with "sudo apt autoremove" then?

EDIT: Never mind... I see it. Sorry.

Let's try these three commands, one at a time. If you have any errors, let me know before moving on to the next one. If no errors, keep going and let's see if they all get synchronized. Note these are "apt-get" instead of just "apt".

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

First one went fine, second says to run the -f for unmet dependencies:
Screenshot from 2018-01-28 14-07-39.png

OK, finding some stuff on Google. Let me know what you get from this command:
Code:
uname -r

Just this:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ uname -r
4.4.0-109-generic
christina@christina-K53U:~$

OK, that is the Linux kernel version that you are using currently. We don't want to mess with that one! :D

Let's do another command. You can click and drag with the mouse to highlight this text, then click in your command line, and CNTL-SHIFT-V to paste it in. Saves typing, and eliminates mistakes. :D

Code:
dpkg --list 'linux-image*'

OK, that is the Linux kernel version that you are using currently. We don't want to mess with that one! :D

Let's do another command. You can click and drag with the mouse to highlight this text, then click in your command line, and CNTL-SHIFT-V to paste it in. Saves typing, and eliminates mistakes. :D

Code:
I always copy and paste lol so that I don't make mistake hahaha
This is most of what I got:
Screenshot from 2018-01-28 14-33-12.png

ended with this:
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-78-ge 4.4.0-78.99 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-79-ge 4.4.0-79.100 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-81-ge 4.4.0-81.104 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-83-ge 4.4.0-83.106 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-87-ge 4.4.0-87.110 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-89-ge 4.4.0-89.112 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
rc linux-image-extra-4.4.0-91-ge 4.4.0-91.114 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-92-ge 4.4.0-92.115 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-93-ge 4.4.0-93.116 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-96-ge 4.4.0-96.119 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-97-ge 4.4.0-97.120 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-98-ge 4.4.0-98.121 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
iU linux-image-generic 4.4.0.112.118 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image

Okay, that goes along with what I'm finding... your /boot partition is about full. You have a partial kernel upgrade (4.4.0-112) that has the unmet dependencies... it probably didn't have room to store the rest of what it needed.

Glad you have mastered the copy/paste into the command line! That helps lots! Let's see if this simple command helps to clean out some of those older kernels:

Code:
sudo apt autoremove --purge

Then run this again:
Code:

It's okay if they don't all go away, but I hope to see some disappear.... enough to give you some breathing room.

[Image removed for privacy reasons]

Last edited by a moderator:
Then run this again:
Code:

It's okay if they don't all go away, but I hope to see some disappear.... enough to give you some breathing room.

I don't think any of them went away.....

OK, let's try to get rid of those two packages with unmet dependencies first then.
One at a time:
Code:
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-generic

Then, again:
Code:

Hopefully this will run now and not give you the same report.

OK, let's try to get rid of those two packages with unmet dependencies first then.
One at a time:
Code:
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-generic

Then, again:
Code:

Hopefully this will run now and not give you the same report.

Won't let me remove........ this is what I got with both commands:

christina@christina-K53U:~$ sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic
[sudo] password for christina:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic:
linux-image-generic depends on linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic; however:
Package linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic is to be removed.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic (--purge):
dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic

OK, LOL. So much fun, sometimes. Let's try another approach. Are you familiar with the "Synaptic Package Manager"? Check in your installed software and see if it's there... probably search for Synaptic or Package to find it.

OK, LOL. So much fun, sometimes. Let's try another approach. Are you familiar with the "Synaptic Package Manager"? Check in your installed software and see if it's there... probably search for Synaptic or Package to find it.

Hmmmmm, I don't have that, it is under 'suggested'

Members online