Error: No server is specified

Feel free to use it to share large amounts of text, without needing to download anything. It has a few neat features, but registration is optional.
Thanks, David. Seems like extra work to paste there, then come back here and link to it. Especially since we can paste here direct. If we hit a filesize limit, though, we sure might need to take you up on your offer.

I have found a few other issues with Zorin. May be an issue with the beta version. The Appearance I had set up has changed. I can select what I want but it does not change. Also, if the computer goes to sleep or i close the lid all I get when i wake it up is the time. Nothing I do will get me past that. If not related to the above issue we will wait on this one.
Not much good (usually) to try to "fix" beta versions. But you might want to report problems to the Zorin devs. Sleep/suspend/hibernation has often been a problem in many Linux distros... sometimes you can resolve issues, and sometimes maybe not. I never use any of them on my laptops and only let power management blank the screen when closing the lid. It always wakes up for me like that. ;)

Thanks for those text files. Analyzing log files is not my strong point, but I can't see anything in those that relates to "no server." The beginning of both files does give information that seems "pre-boot" but nothing that is obviously relevant. I tried searching the files for terms like: server, http, ftp, .com, .net, .org, and so on... looking for anything the might hint at an internet connection. But nothing that seems relevant.

We can try a couple more (while I continue scratching my head):
Code:
cat /var/log/syslog > /home/hurley/Desktop/syslog.txt

# and also

cat /var/log/auth.log > /home/hurley/Desktop/authlog.txt

Here is a list of what is "Enabled" in my BIOS under Advance tab. PowerNow! Virtualization. Integrated NIC. USB Emulation. Adapter Warnings. Camera. Security Tab: Firmware TPM. UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates.
Just to double-check: you did disable the "UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates" earlier, right? This was about the time that you lost Windows, so I want to be sure about this. If that did not work, I would also suggest trying to disable "TPM" also to see if that will clear the 'no server' error. TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is also capable of remote internet access to your motherboard for both security and device health reasons, so it is also a possible culprit. If these settings don't solve the problem, you can re-enable them, or not.

Being prone to cyber paranoia... I'm not a fan of devices that can "phone home" without your knowledge or consent, even going around your firewall. But as far as I know they need the ethernet connection to work because your wireless router would require a password and make you aware of them. My early suspicion was about this type of activity because your error appears before you even boot an OS, but I thought it would clear when you connected with ethernet and allowed their traffic to process. Just guessing, on my part, but the guesses seem reasonable.

OK, thanks for trying the BIOS changes. Will go look at these files and be back in a bit.

Ah well, I'm not having any luck. Sorry. Syslog has over 1200 references to 'server' but nothing that seems appropriate to your error.

To ensure your privacy, you may want to edit your posts above to delete all of the text files. I didn't see anything too revealing (first name and email address)... but the files are large, and I could easily have missed things. Better safe than sorry, but deleting them will prevent others from trying to help further (or they can request that you make a fresh copy to review).

I'm very curious what is throwing the error, so if you discover what it is please report back. But since your 3 systems are all working, I don't want you to break them to find out.

Could it be one of the OS'es? Or is it the motherboard? Should you ever decide to do full reinstalls, Windows is typically first, but I don't think the Windows boot process would pause for this (or it might hide the 10-second timeout). So, would the first Linux reinstall show the problem before the GRUB menu? It may depend on which one you install first if it is an OS dependent issue. Lots of unknowns. o_O

Again, sorry I couldn't solve it. But there is still hope someone else will jump in with better ideas.

Thanks for trying Stan, I deleted the files as you suggested. I did a quick re-install of Zorin on the PNY SSD. The hwmatch error message is back and the no server specified is still there. The re-install did fix the Appearance issues though. I will let you know if I find out anything else. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 361
The hwmatch error message is back and the no server specified is still there.
Interesting that Zorin brought back the 'hwmatch' error. It may be related to the 'no server' error. I'll keep looking a bit more too. Who knows... we may find something yet.

This is not a recommendation, but should you decide to delete Zorin, I wonder if these errors would then clear. Deleting an OS can be risky to the whole system which is why I'm not recommending it. But should you attempt it, the best approach would probably be to boot into Kodachi, use Gparted to delete the Zorin partition (gotta be sure which one that is!)... and then run sudo update-grub to cleanly remove Zorin from the GRUB config (hopefully).

Or, rather than delete the Zorin partition, you could also just format it with Gparted so it would still be intact, as is, for future Linux installation. Don't delete any swap partitions though. Don't delete any /home partition, if you have one, as it may be shared with Kodachi. Multi-boot stuff is tricky, and not my specialty. (Heck, I don't even have a specialty! ;))

If you decide to delete Zorin, be sure to backup anything critically important to you... from all 3 systems. There's nothing like a catastrophic disaster to ruin your day! :oops:

No blame to you if you don't want to go that far either. It's a lot of risk for little reward.

I don’t have anything important on any of them. The Kodachi and Zorin are on separate SSDs. Kodachi is installed next to Windows.

Ah, okay. That's probably even better. But I think you would still need to follow the general instructions, especially to sudo update-grub. GRUB freaks out when things change unless you run that command.

Earlier hurley mentioned that the disk is encrypted, that's probably causing the error, Since by default Zorin OS has no option to encrypt... manual encryption MAY HAVE caused the error. Could you guys try installing a fresh version with no encryption this time. Also try on different OS if feasible, may be pop-os developers could find the issue since they are working on both hardware and software which has encryption option on their custom OS!​

Members online

Latest posts