Error message on cryptsetup

Sudo It

Reaction score
Credits
Hey,
So, I've been trying to enable integrated graphics of my cpu but I messed up. The system didn't output to the monitor after enabling integrated graphics, then I reset BIOS settings, but even then, nothing changed.
I booted from another hard drive and it worked. So, I realized I must have broken my OS. I restored the system using timeshift and now it works like a charm but with one error message on cryptsetup.

1653514629050.jpeg

This doesn't affect the performance at all, but I'm wondering what this error message is.
TIA

That's a warning, not an error (there are dozens of warnings in a regular computer's linux boot process, only they are hidden). This means it's not expected to affect you, but somehow the developer thought you should know about it.

It is related to how the drive has been mounted.

nofail allows the boot process to continue if mounting the related partition (sda6_crypt) fails. Somehow and for whatever reason, cryptsetup doesn't know and is ignoring that option. It just means that it's carrying on with its life not paying attention to such option.

If the computer works as expected, I wouldn't bother messing with it. Possibily an upgrade would get you rid of that warning.

Sudo It said:
I restored the system using timeshift and now it works like a charm but with one error message on cryptsetup.
I think nofail can be safely removed from your parameters for that volume in /etc/crypttab because it's being "ignored" anyway.
Re Timeshift: I'm unfamiliar with it, but I'd be careful using imaging/snapshot utilities on encrypted volumes as they may mangle the UUIDs among other things. Nothing's wrong with the traditional backup of the system config with rsync et al. Call me old-fashioned.

Sudo It said:
Hey,
So, I've been trying to enable integrated graphics of my cpu but I messed up. The system didn't output to the monitor after enabling integrated graphics, then I reset BIOS settings, but even then, nothing changed.
I booted from another hard drive and it worked. So, I realized I must have broken my OS.
Just to save you time (potentially) in the future: If you got the GRUB (or other bootloader) to load, then you could've just added nomodeset to the kernel parameters on-the-fly by highlighting the boot option and pressing "e". That way, you can fix your system without needing to boot from another drive/partition/rescue disc.

Useful reference: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
(Where "v5.10" can be replaced with your kernel version)

Members online

Latest posts