error message installing linux mint 19.1 on computer

Rozesky

Reaction score
Credits
this computer is a 9 year old hp with intel i5, 500 gig NEW hd, 4 gigs of ram

It was running ubuntu 16.04 and I suggested changing it to Mint 19.1 cinammon

everytime I try to install I get this erro message that the files to match...that part I forget to write down but here is the rest.
/target/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdiio.bin

It then suggests the DVD is bad or dirty----I am using a flashdrive
or the hard drive is bad.------I put in a new hard drive

steps I have taken
1. New hard drive
2. took out new hard drive and refomatted it to try again
3. download a mint again
4. put it on a different flash drive
5. tried installing it on another computer I have , it install flawlessly.

One time I got it to install on an older 250 gig hard drive but I dont know old it is and I wanted a new hard drive, so I took it out and put in the new one.

I am totally stumped

can anyone help me? Or does this computer just not accept linux mint 19.1

Julie

Use Rosa Image Writer to make the flash drive bootable and try again. Also, redownload the ISO cuz it's possible a few bytes were lost in the transer - just enough to make a problem with installation.

ok I will redownload but I already did that and checked it by installing on
a different computer and it installed without a problem. I used Rufus to make
the flash drive but I will now go and download rosa and try again

Julie

G'dat Julie, and Welcome to linux.org

When you formatted the hd.....what format did you use.......fat 32, ext4, etc etc ...?

I used ntfs but I knew when I put Linux on it , it would reformat it to whatever for the install

is there any chance the boot mode was altered from uefi ?....to legacy perhaps...etc??

Yes that might be a possibility because I was in the bios to fix the boot mode to boot the Usb
first
There is a good chance I might have change that setting

is there any chance the boot mode was altered from uefi ?....to legacy perhaps...etc??
I looked in the bios and this computer is so old it is not eufi and there is no option to accidently turn on that mode

so that would not be my problem

So...is the setting named ?...if so as what ?

The fact that it was running ubuntu 16.4 means it will run any of the ubuntu stable and includes all linux

So.....if it installed on another pc, and also installed on a 250gb hdd on this pc, that leaves the hdd....(I think).....

So...reformat it fat 32

Try again

I created a new .iso file on a flashdrive using Rosa image maker
I tried installing on the computer and now i get this error
the following file did not match the source copy on CD/DVD
/target/usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so

your download should come from HERE
be sure to select either 32bit or 64 bit

You should verify the download before putting it on the usb drive....HERE

This ensures the download is not corrupted.

My snooze time here......I will check in again in my morning....probably around 8 hours from now.

Good Luck, Julie

I haven't searched it yet but that first error message looks like a Broadcom driver. The second error message makes me wonder if the Firefox install is not from the official repos (perhaps it is from the Mozilla site).
Which leads me to wonder if the OP is attempting a 'clean' install or an 'upgrade'?
I would always verify the downloaded .iso before burning it to disk or flashing to a USB.
If doing a 'clean' install the installer should ask if you want to format the disk/partition so an NTFS formatted disk should not pose a problem.
Perhaps un-checking the options to install proprietary/third-party drivers and updates during the install process would help. I don't know if those are still an issue but they used to be.

My suggestion would be to create a bootable DVD.

Create a bootable DVD with infrarecorder.

http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5

Make certain to write image to DVD and not copy.

infrarecorder.png

Downloads
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good resource.

Read this as many times as needed although written for Linux Mint 18.3 but works for Linux Mint 19.1 also.

https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-try-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc.20993/

If you are able to test drive Linux Mint after following the instructions in the "how to try Linux mint link I have provided than you should be able to install it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am catching up on Posts I have missed after a day trip, so I am brainstorming a little here.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day Julie and welcome to linux.org :)

Glad you are retired, and hope you have the patience (it seems so :p) for trying a few things, it is always hard when we cannot sit at your elbow, or in the (your) "driver's seat" at your computer.

You are in good hands here, with Tom (@poorguy ), Brian (@Condobloke ) and Rado (@rado84 ) contributing.

I might ask or note just a couple of quick points -
  1. Are you using the same usb stick each time, or do you have a different one available?
  2. Would you consider reloading on the computer Ubuntu 16.04, and seeing if it still works? You don't have to follow through with all the updates, just seeing that the OS works OK. Subject to the outcomes from the above ... you have just installed a new hard drive, so I'll leave my question 3 for now.
Cheers all, and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I am catching up on Posts I have missed after a day trip, so I am brainstorming a little here.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day Julie and welcome to linux.org :)

Glad you are retired, and hope you have the patience (it seems so :p) for trying a few things, it is always hard when we cannot sit at your elbow, or in the (your) "driver's seat" at your computer.

You are in good hands here, with Tom (@poorguy ), Brian (@Condobloke ) and Rado (@rado84 ) contributing.

I might ask or note just a couple of quick points -
  1. Are you using the same usb stick each time, or do you have a different one available?
  2. Would you consider reloading on the computer Ubuntu 16.04, and seeing if it still works? You don't have to follow through with all the updates, just seeing that the OS works OK. Subject to the outcomes from the above ... you have just installed a new hard drive, so I'll leave my question 3 for now.
Cheers all, and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
1. I have tried different usb stick to install linux Mint 19.1 and no luck. 3 different ones to be exact
2. I also tried a fresh install using a DVD with a new download of linux mint ( no luck)
3. I did try to verify my download was good but i followed the instructions and I could not get them to work.
4. I installed the DVD copy of Mint on a different computer using the same hard drive and it installed just fine.
5. So I put the HD back in the computer I wanted to use it in and it booted up. So I thought well now it will surely install, ( thought I needed to do a fresh install, BUT I came up with the same
error of the install failed.
6. I put the HD back in the the other compute and reinstall Mint successfully.
7. the HD back in the computer I want to use it in and AFTER resetting the password. it is doing the updates and appears to be working fine.

SO will there be any problems with the WAY I finally got it working on this computer?

Thanks in Advance
Julie

I've never tried to install on one and then move the hard drive to a different computer.

You might as well give it a try and see how works it may be ok.

Some hp computers can be problematic with Linux installs.

If you open the bios do you have the boot options of Legacy or AHCI if so you might try one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried to install on one and then move the hard drive to a different computer.

I have done this a number of times with various Linux installs (mostly Ubuntu).
Installed on one hard drive - took that drive out for some reason - sometime later put it in a different machine. They have always booted right up.

Before you boot did you go into your bios and set the first boot as removable drive or usb flash drive.

You may have to have the usb drive inserted in a usb port to see it in the bios.

it doesn't act as though the bootable media is being recognized or detected imo.

Members online