Error grub /install/ sda failed during linux lite installation.

RG_2108

Reaction score
Credits
I was trying to install linux lite as sole os for my laptop, Everything went smoothly but at the end it gave grub /install/ sda failed error.
now when i start it, it doesnt boot linux lite and is stuck on grub screen.

G'day RG 2108, Welcome to Linux.org

Did the system run in 'Live' mode ?.....or didn't it get that far ?

I may be talking out of my hat here.....but.....give this a go...

switch the firmware to legacy mode and/or enable CSM, the other is to boot only a particular session in legacy/BIOS mode. The first often is accessed with something like F2 and the second with something like F12. For the latter, there will be a list of boot options, with the USB drive listed twice. Often one has a description and the other does not. If one says UEFI, the other is legacy boot; or vice versa.

Hope this makes some sense for you.

HI, I could list all the possible reasons for your installation to fail but for now read my basic guide [how to install Linux link below]

@Condobloke If he is still using his 12 yr old lappy, it may not have UEFI as it is around the time of gradual change over, my dell of the same age dosn't]

@RG_2108 ....I dont how much experience you have with Linux etc....

In terminal....

inxi -Fxz

(copy and paste it to avoid any mistake.... Copy and paste the result back here)

... and does it say

grub

or

grub rescue

?

Wizard

Thanks for all your help.
I attempted everything i could find online, but now I have installed Xubuntu and it installed first try.
Thanks again.

Well Done !.....and Xubuntu is a good choice.

Interesting that one would install and one would not

Members online