ERRNO 5 comes up trying to instal Lubuntu 14.04 Trsuty Tahr

CurtE

Reaction score
Credits
Trying to install Lubuntu Trusty Tahr 64 Bit ERRo 5 comes up. Does same thing on 2 different computers. But Ubuntu 14 64 bit will install. Install starts but will not complete. I am assuming the disk I bought on Ebay is Bad

I am assuming the disk I bought on Ebay is Bad

That may be so, but we would need more information.

G'day @CurtE and welcome to linux.org :)

Are you aware that EOL (end of life) for both Distros is next month? After that, they are no longer supported.

You would be better off trying v16 (to 2021) or v18 (to 2023).

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Reactions: Rob
Thank you. Figured I'd just let it update to a newer version. I am new to Linux and am looking to replace windows 7 now that I found Linux.org I can buy here.

No need to buy if you want to save the dough, Curt :)

It's all free. You can go to our downloads page here

https://www.linux.org/pages/download/

... and follow the links to different types of Linux (called Distros, for distributions)

If you have a USB stick or a blank DVD, we can get you started.

Cheers

Wiz
BTW
looking to replace windows 7
... that is what I did 5 years ago - I am 61 and we have many Members in their 60s and 70s, so you can feel right at home :D

Reactions: Rob
Try downloading your preferred distro/OS (operating system...linux mint...ubuntu...whatever...).....then 'burn' the download to a USB Stick (8 gb is plenty...even 4 GB will work)....using rufus or unetbootin....there are quite a few 'burn' programs out there.....they are 'special' programs that ensure that what you put on the usb stick is bootable

Then....change the boot order on your pc/laptop and boot the usb stick. (the os/distro does NOT install itself to your hard drive at this time. It runs quite happily(a bit slowly) in ram)...No damage can be done.

Thats it...use it and enjoy playing with it....if you screw it up...just reboot to the usb stck again....and play with it some more.

When....and only WHEN...you get used to it and have made the decision to INSTALL it.....(remember installing it will WIPE EVERYTHING on your hard drive)....click the install Icon on the desktop.

It does not really matter if you do something wrong......relax. Just reboot to the usb stick and away you go again. All you will lose is a little time

Oh....and btw...Welcome to Linux.org.......the friendly place !

Members online

Latest posts