EOLs Imminent - Wizard Reshuffles Stable - Wizards Corner

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Just a quick question first of @pepdebian - Mate, am I right in thinking that Peppermint 9, Peppermint 10 and Peppermint 10 Respin all hit EOL end of this month?

If so, can you tell me the date, please?

For The Viewers, I will get into the main thrust of this Thread as soon as I have that answer.

Stay tuned.

Wizard

I won't wait - @pepdebian is probably busy cooking up goodies to enhance Peppermint.

The following is from a Libre Office Writer document, and depicts the 19 distros I am going to have to remove.

ALVFduw.png

The 'buntu Flavours (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu) are from the 20.04 series and I have only had for three years.

The ones based on Bionic Beaver (18.04 series) I've had for up to five years and have become like old friends, there is an element of nostalgia in seeing some of them go.

The departure of the distros on the list above will see my stable reduced to 70 distros for a period. Even though I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I am not so bad as to feel a need to replace them all willy-nilly. I have a few candidates in mind, and some more will likely draw my attention at DistroWatch.com, and I will install some partly from my interest in them, and partly from evidence I gather from this Forum as to what is being used.

Altius, Citius, Fortius - Higher, Faster, Stronger.

Wizard

Just a quick question first of @pepdebian - Mate, am I right in thinking that Peppermint 9, Peppermint 10 and Peppermint 10 Respin all hit EOL end of this month?

If so, can you tell me the date, please?

For The Viewers, I will get into the main thrust of this Thread as soon as I have that answer.

Stay tuned.

Wizard
My apologies for the delayed response. ;-) you are on point with Peppermint 9 and 10, I had lots of discussion with our community on this...... have a look at this ref link May 2023 is the EOL but April folks really should start to think about it.
Sometime a while ago Ubuntu was saying April then they revised it to May

https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-18-04-eol-for-devices

hope that helps

Last edited:
In your GRUB menu thread, I noticed that you were retiring Ubuntu Bionic. If you want, you can still get quite a few years out of it. It's perfectly free for up to three devices which might be a limiting factor for someone with so many installations.

I didn't want to comment in your GRUB thread, so this seemed like a better place to add this comment. There's no reason to derail the GRUB thread when I can just as easily find this thread and comment here.

Hmm...

As an Ubuntu Member, I get up to 50 devices and it's possible to add people to my account. I wonder if it'd break some policy rules if I shared access to (now called) Ubuntu Pro?

Ubuntu is terrible at naming stuff, but it's actually a good thing. They previously supported some applications for up to a decade. Now, they're supporting the entire universe repository for the duration (something like that) of the extended support window.

Unfortunately, they named it "Pro" and I think that turns some folks off immediately. Heck, it made me recoil a bit until I dug into it and tried it. I should probably do an article about it.

I won't wait - @pepdebian is probably busy cooking up goodies to enhance Peppermint.

The following is from a Libre Office Writer document, and depicts the 19 distros I am going to have to remove.

ALVFduw.png

The 'buntu Flavours (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu) are from the 20.04 series and I have only had for three years.

The ones based on Bionic Beaver (18.04 series) I've had for up to five years and have become like old friends, there is an element of nostalgia in seeing some of them go.

The departure of the distros on the list above will see my stable reduced to 70 distros for a period. Even though I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I am not so bad as to feel a need to replace them all willy-nilly. I have a few candidates in mind, and some more will likely draw my attention at DistroWatch.com, and I will install some partly from my interest in them, and partly from evidence I gather from this Forum as to what is being used.

Altius, Citius, Fortius - Higher, Faster, Stronger.

Wizard
Ugh . . . and here I am dreading upgrading my single installs of Linux Mint 19.3 on my laptop and desk top!

If you want, you can still get quite a few years out of it.

No, that's fine, but thanks, David, for the heads up. I have 7 USB sticks lined up with 7 distros to add on to begin with. Plus more on some Ventoy-enabled sticks. I will be getting another 16 GB RAM in the next couple of months, and that will speed things up a bit.

Ugh . . . and here I am dreading upgrading my single installs of Linux Mint 19.3 on my laptop and desk top!

Lol, my choices, my responsibility. Good to hear from you mate. :)

Your quoting of my post reminds me that I have established that for the Mints at least, the EOL is actually 30 May, so that gives me more time to work with, but I will still be busy.

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

Members online