EndeavourOS

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
I have a few packages installed from the AUR, but you have to be careful with what you install. What I do is look at the following to try and gauge to see if it is a good package to install or to avoid:

1. Popularity
2. Comments
3. Last Update
4. Votes
AUR packages that are out of date will eventually be "Flagged"
There are three types of requests that can be filed in the Package Actions box on the package details page:
  • Orphan Request: Request a package to be disowned, e.g. when the maintainer is inactive and the package has been flagged out-of-date for a long time.
  • Deletion Request: Request a package to be removed from the Arch User Repository. Please do not use this if a package is broken and can be fixed easily. Instead, contact the package maintainer and file orphan request if necessary.
  • Merge Request: Request a package to be merged into another one. Can be used when a package needs to be renamed or replaced by a split package.

yeah i just showing you a list and often you have a lot of choices, i guess my eyes have an inbuilt filter. Lets look at the list section .eg

Code:
extra/evince 41.2-1 (gnome)
    Document viewer (PDF, PostScript, XPS, djvu, dvi, tiff, cbr, cbz, cb7, cbt)

What does this bit actually tell you ?

What about "extra" well there is an arbitary division of offcial packages into :

core, extra community . So far to me which one a pie e of software belongs to hasn't had any bearing. The only thing that matters is "extra" is a section of official packages.

What about : evince 41.2-1 (gnome)

Well evince is the name of the software , gnome means that its linked to gnome. So some packages are sort of additions that come with a Desktop. 41.2-1 is the version of the package , none of that Debian nonesense of this package has been given a priority of 100 except on wash days when it has higher priority of one given 500 etc
The last line is self explanatory - evince allows you to open and view pdf documents.

So all you need is : sudo pacman -S evince
to install it .

you can install AUR but need to be cautious thats all. Could should be ok with moe , its a gnu one
Okay lets see if I'm understanding the lines explain the availble package etc.

So then once I choose the software I want "package name" than I just use this command

Code:
sudo pacman -S package name

Okay I think I understand now. I hope.

I can see where a new Linux user who started with this Linux may become frustrated and run.

Thanks @captain-sensible

Okay lets see if I'm understanding the lines explain the availble package etc.

So then once I choose the software I want "package name" than I just use this command

Code:
sudo pacman -S package name

Okay I think I understand now. I hope.

I can see where a new Linux user who started with this Linux may become frustrated and run.

Thanks @captain-sensible
yep you got it .

if your lazy like me you can do :

sudo pacman -Ss <packagename>

then if you like what you see just remove the small s

Okay worked like a charm. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------
Code:
sudo pacman -Ss <packagename>

So what does the small s do.
I'm being lazy instead of looking it up.

Thanks

S stands for Sync
s stand for search
Code:
man pacman

-S, --sync
Synchronize packages. Packages are installed directly from the remote repositories, including all dependencies
required to run the packages. For example, pacman -S qt will download and install qt and all the packages it
depends on. If a package name exists in more than one repository, the repository can be explicitly specified to
clarify the package to install: pacman -S testing/qt. You can also specify version requirements: pacman -S
"bash>=3.2". Quotes are needed, otherwise the shell interprets ">" as redirection to a file.

-s, --search <regexp>
This will search each package in the sync databases for names or descriptions that match regexp. When you
include multiple search terms, only packages with descriptions matching ALL of those terms will be returned.

Okay will start looking there and I have seen that pop up when I was having problems getting stuff to work.

I know how to bring it up now.

Thanks

Happy Veterans day
646px-Royal_British_Legion's_Paper_Poppy_-_white_background.jpg

with the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them

EndeavourOS ships with yay(Yet another Yogurt) an AUR helper written in Go by default https://github.com/Jguer/yay, so you can just do
Code:
yay -S 'pkg_name'
to install 'pkg_name'. Read the man page
Code:
man yay
to get familiar with it. It isn't hard to use tho; it takes most pacman commands, i.e. 'yay -Ss'
Code:
yay -Ss clementine
aur/vul-complete-git r1.1-1 (+0 0.00)
    Latin Clementine Vulgate Bible in the terminal
aur/conkyclementine-bzr r8-1 (+3 0.00)
    Provides Clementine info, for use in Conky.
aur/streamripper-gui 0.1.2-1 (+4 0.00)
    Detects on the automatic way, wich URL clementine/rhythmbox/amarok/etc. are now playing and rip it
aur/clementine-git 1.4.0rc1.r329.gf7bece3b8.0.gf7bece3b8-1 (+85 0.00)
    A modern music player and library organizer
community/clementine 1.4.0rc1+759+gd033b38c4-1 (5.2 MiB 18.8 MiB) (Installed)
    A modern music player and library organizer

Hello forums,

Still with EndeavourOS feeling a lot more comfortable with it than I was 4 or 5 days or so when I first started using it.

I did experience one major issue "kernel panic".

Don't know what happened everything was working well one day and out of nowhere "kernel panic".

Only a terminal window displayed no GUI or anything worked and powered off and powered on no change so reinstalled EndeavorOS.

This time I changed the to the 5.10.79-1-lts kernel don't know if that makes any different just figured LTS kernel might be better.

I don't even know what "kernel panic" is much less what causes it.

Guess I could have butchered something up when I was trying to install software unsuccessfully I don't know.

I got past the software installation obstacle with help from @captain-sensible. :)

@wizardfromoz

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

Thanks for the link it's very useful. :)

Okay just thought I'd let ya know I ain't quit EndeavourOS and it ain't to bad although confusing sometimes.

Guess I could have butchered something up when I was trying to install software unsuccessfully I don't know.

Maybe yes maybe no. I have other ideas, though.

Currently I am running updates/upgrades on KDE Neon I can't interrupt to reboot, but when I do, I'll swing over to my Endeavour and check if what I suspect is true. Then I will report back for in time for when you are in session.

For the moment, I am off to Endeavour's forum to sign up in a reciprocal arrangement I undertook with their developer.

Back soon.

Wiz

Hello forums,

Still with EndeavourOS feeling a lot more comfortable with it than I was 4 or 5 days or so when I first started using it.

I did experience one major issue "kernel panic".

Don't know what happened everything was working well one day and out of nowhere "kernel panic".

Only a terminal window displayed no GUI or anything worked and powered off and powered on no change so reinstalled EndeavorOS.

This time I changed the to the 5.10.79-1-lts kernel don't know if that makes any different just figured LTS kernel might be better.

I got past the software installation obstacle with help from @captain-sensible. :)

@wizardfromoz

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

Thanks for the link it's very useful. :)

Okay just thought I'd let ya know I ain't quit EndeavourOS and it ain't to bad although confusing sometimes.
switching kernel did you install kernel headers and also run :
Code:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Installed the LTS kernel at the time of installed which was an option.
This is in the menu under settings.

1636978660298.png

For future reference https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/linux-kernel-panic

What is a kernel panic?​

A kernel panic is one of several Linux boot issues. In basic terms, it is a situation when the kernel can't load properly and therefore the system fails to boot. During the boot process, the kernel doesn't load directly. Instead, initramfs loads in RAM, then it points to the kernel (vmlinuz), and then the operating system boots. If initramfs gets corrupted or deleted at this stage because of recent OS patching, updates, or other causes, then we face a kernel panic.

Thanks hopefully I'll not see that again
Thankfully, I've never had one of those, but in virtual machines only. The article in that link explains what you can do in the unfortunate event that you get a kernel panic.

Members online