EndeavourOS

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128018

Hello forums,

New day new adventure.

In another thread "EndeavourOS" was mentioned several times and since this is about trying different Linux distros I figured I stray from the norm and step on the Arch base.

The install went without issue although I had to dig out a wireless usb adapter.
Linux is sure making me locate and dig out stuff I ain't used in years. (brain cells)

No wired Ethernet was being detected however once I plugged in the wireless adapter and located my Wifi connection and entered my password all was good.

After the install and update and a restart I had a wired connection and off I went tweaking the settings.

The welcome menu is a great place to start for the new EndeavourOS user.

I even figured out how to get my GUFW to startup after a restart.

Code:
systemctl enable --now ufw.service

This just keeps getting better. :D

I hope you get a good experience and that you enjoy EndeavourOS!

keep going, you only have around another 500+ distro's to play with

No wired Ethernet was being detected
It always amazes me when this happens. Ethernet is like the native tongue of Linux, spoken at birth. It's rare that it doesn't work immediately. Of course, it seems to have solved itself with a driver update once you got going, but it's still a surprise to me to not work initially.

I prefer Ethernet when I have a choice... it's faster and more secure.

Hello everyone,

I was surprised that wired Ethernet wasn't available so I figured I'd try a wireless device and once I plugged in I saw my router and connected.

After install and updates and a restart I had a wired connection without doing a thing.

The welcome menu is great I was able to complete all basic necessary tweaks and stuff through it.

I did have to web search to find out how to start the GUFW and I did find a solution and applied it and now GUFW is enabled on startup.

@Condobloke you were right on when you said EndeavourOS was "Very, very different to Ubuntu/linux" although it's a good different.

Even though I've just installed it and still familiarizing myself with it I like what I see from a new Linux user recommend giving it a spin.

Okay everyone not meaning to be rude or sound rude I want to get back to my new Linux and learn about how stuff works in it.

My apologies if I'm being a bore about my Linux adventures but I'm having a blast learning Linux.

@brickwizard Hmm 500+ distro's that's quite a chunk to chew and I'm thinking it's about time I settle on 1 or 2 and use them.

Will keep you posted and Thanks for the help and advice and most of all the patience of putting up with us new Linux users. ;)

old timer :)

My apologies if I'm being a bore about my Linux adventures but I'm having a blast learning Linux.

It's all good. Share away. I used to distro-hop quite a bit. These days, I just use virtual machines to play with other distros.

Hello everyone,

Okay schools out for this old timer. :p

I've read through many pages of guides and did make some progress.

This is like learning a new language and come to think of it I guess it is.

I now truly know the meaning of comes with a "Learning Curve". ;)

I'm going to twist off a few bottle caps. :p

I used to distro-hop quite a bit. These days, I just use virtual machines to play with other distros.
I should probably do the same.

I'm doing it the ghetto way at the moment.
The side cover of the desktop is temporarily removed.

I have several 40 GB hard drives and plug and unplug a different hard drive in for a different Linux distro.

Cuts down on install times. :p :D

I really shouldn't drink sometimes. :p :D

I really shouldn't drink sometimes.

I can relate. A friend dropped off some of his honey nut brown ale. It's delightful. He doesn't brew nearly enough.

although it's a good different.

We might have to send you out as a roving ambassador for Linux, you get the same pay as us

Nada, nil, zero, zip

I really shouldn't drink sometimes. :p

My credo would be

I really shouldn't drink sometimes ... I should drink all of the time.

It will probably be my epitaph.

Enjoy your Linux.

BTW I have maybe 10 -12 Arch-based distros in my stable, including Endeavour, so we've got your back.

and THAT one I have had bookmarked for maybe 4 years or so.

Nice one @f33dm3bits

Happy Veterans day to all who served.

Good Morning everyone,

Thanks for the information and support.

EndeavorOS isn't as easy to learn as the Debian Ubuntu Linux distos seems to be a lot more to learn.

If this is the easy way to learn Arch Linux I'd hate to see the OEM way.

I'm confused between AUR and Arch packages and how to download from the two menus but I'll figure it out.

The Arch Wiki page should help a lot.

The terminal is also a lot different from what I'm used to.
I have no idea what the hell I'm doing sometimes and get confused.

I may take a break from EndeavorOS today I think I have brain clog from lack of use since retirement.

Thanks for the help and support. :)

I'm confused between AUR and Arch packages and how to download from the two menus but I'll figure it out.

Basically "Arch" packages are official and i only use the command line to install them.

First you search for a package lets say you want something to view pdf.

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ pacman -Ss pdf                                       (11-11 15:55)
extra/cups-pdf 3.0.1-6
    PDF printer for cups
extra/evince 41.2-1 (gnome)
    Document viewer (PDF, PostScript, XPS, djvu, dvi, tiff, cbr, cbz, cb7, cbt)
extra/gv 3.7.4-5
    A program to view PostScript and PDF documents
extra/poppler 21.11.0-1 [installed]
    PDF rendering library based on xpdf 3.0
extra/poppler-data 0.4.11-1 [installed]
etc
etc

Then say you want to install evince then the command would be :

Code:
sudo pacman -S evince

Now the AUR stands for Arch User Repository - basically NONE offical packages that users have contributed. So i will give you ( shamelessly) a url to an Arch package :
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fetchmirrorsgui you might say I know a little about it; i submitted it and also wrote the python upstream code.

Warning Don't try and install it for Endeavour!

The pkg i submiited is fine for Vanilla Arch, but i think would be a problem with EndeavourOS- thats because EndeavourOS has at least one mirror specific to EndeavourOS, at least thats my understanding

Now i can't remember that much about Endeavour except i liked it. If you are using gui menu ; then probably for Endeavour the thing to remember is that " AUR" are none official and so you install then with caution .

i will give you one from AUR that should be safe and basics of installing it from command line.
If your up for it go to : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/moe

At the top its says: GIT Clone URl. you left mouse click on the blue url to the right of where it says Git Clone .

From a command line, you should be in home : you can type : pwd
in terminal to confirm it.

Now paste into the terminal , either via terminal menu or try Ctrl + Alt + V

So i would get :
Code:
https://aur.archlinux.org/moe.git
in from of that type in git clone , so now you have

Code:
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/moe.git

if that works , in your home directory you should see a directory called "moe" in your home folder.

cd into it :

Code:
//cd moe and then see whats there: 
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ cd moe                                               (11-11 16:14)
[andrew@darkstar:~/moe]$ ls                                               (11-11 16:14)
PKGBUILD
[andrew@darkstar:~/moe]$                                                  (11-11 16:14)

to create an installable package type:
Code:
makepkg -s

Last edited:
Hello @captain-sensible ,

Okay so stay away from AUR seems I read something about doing that but I've read so much I can't remember what I've read.

It sounds like in Arch that packages are built or compiled from a combination of different pieces of source code.

Wow confusing to a new Linux user so maybe I'm in over my head and may not quite ready for Endeavor.

I think I kinda understand what you're saying but how does a user know what packages need to selected.

Looks like several different pieces of code selected.

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ pacman -Ss pdf                                       (11-11 15:55)
extra/cups-pdf 3.0.1-6
    PDF printer for cups
extra/gv 3.7.4-5
    A program to view PostScript and PDF documents
extra/poppler 21.11.0-1 [installed]
    PDF rendering library based on xpdf 3.0
extra/poppler-data 0.4.11-1 [installed]
etc

yeah i just showing you a list and often you have a lot of choices, i guess my eyes have an inbuilt filter. Lets look at the list section .eg

Code:

What does this bit actually tell you ?

What about "extra" well there is an arbitary division of offcial packages into :

core, extra community . So far to me which one a pie e of software belongs to hasn't had any bearing. The only thing that matters is "extra" is a section of official packages.

What about : evince 41.2-1 (gnome)

Well evince is the name of the software , gnome means that its linked to gnome. So some packages are sort of additions that come with a Desktop. 41.2-1 is the version of the package , none of that Debian nonesense of this package has been given a priority of 100 except on wash days when it has higher priority of one given 500 etc
The last line is self explanatory - evince allows you to open and view pdf documents.

So all you need is : sudo pacman -S evince
to install it .

you can install AUR but need to be cautious thats all. Could should be ok with moe , its a gnu one

I have a few packages installed from the AUR, but you have to be careful with what you install. What I do is look at the following to try and gauge to see if it is a good package to install or to avoid:

1. Popularity
2. Comments
3. Last Update
4. Votes