Encrypted HDD

Carlokthe1st

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

So I recently dived into the world of Linux and I started with Kali. I generally am going with online tutorials and overall, don't know fully what I'm doing yet. BUT the main reason I picked up linux is because it falls into my job (or will in the future). For now though I'm just picking random tasks to do and seeing if I can complete them. I'm been successful is the small stuff but there is one task I just can't figure out.

I'm booting Kali from a USB and it is live. I'm booting it on a dell XPS 12 that hasn't been functional since about 2016-2017. It continuously flashes and won't even go to the login text box. However there are some files and stuff on this laptop that I want but because the hard drive is encrypted and no matter what passphrase I use to try to mount it/get into it, i keep getting denied because the passphrase is wrong. I've been trying for about 2 days now but I just can't get into this thing. I'm basically asking if anyone thinks they know of a way to crack into this hard drive. Any help would be awesome.

Nope.

If it was easy to get into, there'd be no point to encryption.

You can try brute force, but that can take tens of millions of years. You can try a dictionary attack, but I'd like to think you didn't use a simple word as your passphrase.

Format the drive and learn a valuable lesson about encryption.

Members online