Encrypted hard drive?

J

jdgalt

I encrypt my entire hard drive (as everyone should, for basic safety in case the computer is stolen).

But there now appears to be a problem with doing it. TrueCrypt was the only product that supported both Windows and any flavor of Unix, and it's gone. None of its successors (VeraCrypt, BestCrypt, DiskCryptor) support Linux.

Where can I now find a disk encryption product that will allow me to run a dual-boot system?

Last edited:

Vera Crypt is available in Linux..... I'm using it for sensitive files.
I also encrypt the entire HD as well, but I don't do Windows.

Jim - thanks, I'll give it a try.

Ryan - I looked at Dm-crypt but it would take more Linux know-how than I have yet to set up.

I may eventually go all Linux, but not until I verify the ability to use each of my Windows apps or substitutes for them on Linux. Since some are commercial software not made for Linux (for instance, Quickbooks) that will not be soon.

Jim - thanks, I'll give it a try.

Ryan - I looked at Dm-crypt but it would take more Linux know-how than I have yet to set up.

I may eventually go all Linux, but not until I verify the ability to use each of my Windows apps or substitutes for them on Linux. Since some are commercial software not made for Linux (for instance, Quickbooks) that will not be soon.
Many distributions will setup DMcrypt for you with the installer, such as Ubuntu or Mint. I understand the reluctance to switch as well. :)

Vera Crypt has a windows program so you can run both. When you setup, it gives you the option of read/write in any OS or just Linux only. If you're using multiple OS'es than the first option would be best. Vera Crypt is True Crypt only the person who runs Vera, took True's weaknesses and vulnerabilities and corrected them.

Vera Crypt has a windows program so you can run both. When you setup, it gives you the option of read/write in any OS or just Linux only. If you're using multiple OS'es than the first option would be best. Vera Crypt is True Crypt only the person who runs Vera, took True's weaknesses and vulnerabilities and corrected them.
This was posted twice!..... :O

Members online