Emulating MacOS on Linux

RobertBlake

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my job requires MacOS. I'm looking to emulate it in QEMU virtual machine on Linux

I was following this guide:
https://betterprogramming.pub/how-t...-machine-on-linux-4d6ce7cd493e?gi=93913e2d24a

However, the hard-drive it has me create, doesn't show up inside the MacOS VM. I get this error below about the device command that their script uses. How can I install this? I included the creation of the VM for context.

Code:
Archive successfully decompressed as /media/Blake/T7/MacOS3/macOS-Simple-KVM-master/BaseSystem.img

Blake@Blake-desktop:/media/Blake/T7/MacOS3/macOS-Simple-KVM-master$ qemu-img create -f qcow2 mac_os.qcow2 40G

Formatting 'mac_os.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=42949672960 cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16

Blake@Blake-desktop:/media/Blake/T7/MacOS3/macOS-Simple-KVM-master$ bash basic.sh
basic.sh: line 30: -device: command not found

Which Distro of Linux? Which Release?

Thanks for your reply, I’ve been playing with the software for a bit.

When running,
Code:
quickemu --vm macos-catalina.conf
ERROR! Qemu 6.0.0 or newer is required, detected 4.2.1.

I get the same version with a:
sudo apt-get install qemu

I’m using Linux Mint 20.3

2 Questions

1) If I upgrade to 21, will the apt-get command let me get the 6+ version?

2) If I do a timeshift before upgrading my OS, if it breaks a lot of my software, would the timeshift allow me to revert back to 20.3?

I remember there was a thread on this forum few month ago. Let me check for you.

Here it is

Hey I appreciate the post and I will try that next. I first would like to know about the Mint upgrade and QEMU before starting down a different path

I remember there was a thread on this forum few month ago. Let me check for you.

Here it is

Nice!!!!! this guide worked. I did get a fully functional MacOS in Oracle VM. Thank-you...

The only part that doesn't work is copy paste, even with it set to bi-directional in the settings tab. It works on Linux to Linux VMs in the past. Is it even possible to get copy paste for Linux to MacOS?

Nice!!!!! this guide worked. I did get a fully functional MacOS in Oracle VM. Thank-you...

The only part that doesn't work is copy paste, even with it set to bi-directional in the settings tab. It works on Linux to Linux VMs in the past. Is it even possible to get copy paste for Linux to MacOS?
Nice to hear that.
Yes, it is possible on virtualbox. However if you are using QEMU/KVM, you have to install Spice tools on guest VM.
I have not tried it as I didn't want to share clipboard between host and guest, so you have to do some research by yourself before installing it or post another thread in this forum if it didn't work out. Check out their website.

So there's a new update for my Linux Mint system that might help here, but I'm worried it will undo the work I've done on KVM settings and modifications.

Here's the update in the system manager:

QEMU full system emulation binaries
New Version: 1:6.0 dfsg

but then it gives this warning:

The following packages will be removed:
QEMU-KVM

QEMU-SLOF

The following packages will be installed:
liburing1

but I'm worried it will undo the work I've done
Yeah I guess it's better to postpone updates for few more days. I don't know why QEMU-KVM is removed. I wish I could check that for you, but my Mint machine is in a repair store.

Are other functions work properly? like folder sharing?

Yeah I guess it's better to postpone updates for few more days. I don't know why QEMU-KVM is removed. I wish I could check that for you, but my Mint machine is in a repair store.

Are other functions work properly? like folder sharing?

For QEMU,
Linux to Linux clipboard works.
MAC doesn't even start

I'm worried I'll undo my virt-manager SPICE work for the copy paste if I install that new QEMU upgrade. It was real hard to setup

------
For the Oracle VM,
Linux to Linux clipboard works
Linux to Mac clipboard doesn't.
Might be an issue with guest additions. I'm supposed to run on the Mac command line the guest addition?

Members online

Latest posts