Embedded linux

M

Musharraf Hussain

Hi all,

I am new in Linux I have an embedded system that contains Linux 2.6.14 armv5tel. I will compile code into Ubuntu.

Can anybody tell me :

1- How can I detect Linux of embedded that is 32bit or 64bit ?
2- Which version of Ubuntu should I use for development of embedded system ?
3- Which cross-compiler should I use for compilation ?

1. use the uname -a command. Example:
Code:
 uname -a
Linux ryan-linux-laptop 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
the x86_64 means 64bit. If it says x86 then the system 32bit.
2. I don't think you should use Ubuntu for an embedded system. Never the less, using a custom version of14.04 LTS may be best (If using Ubuntu. Debian or something like the Yocto project would be better).
3. GNU GCC.

I typed code :

uname -a

Result : (ARM-Linux)
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.14 #258 Thu June 20 10:47:01 CST 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux.

Thanks

Hi,

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.14 #258 Thu June 20 10:47:01 CST 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux.

I have bluetooth USB device and attached to embedded system then it is not blinking.
I need driver for this device, let me know where I can find it or I will have to develop it.

If I will have to develop there where I can find tutorial.

First place to look is in the kernel. Run a make menuconfig and see if there's support for your device. If not, go to the manufacturer's site.

If you want to develop a driver, the first place to start is to read the docs within the kernel tree.

i'd like to know how to use the cross complie tool, does it communicate to the target embedded system, by which protocol?

i'd like to know how to use the cross complie tool, does it communicate to the target embedded system, by which protocol?

What cross-compile tool? gcc has options for target platform, you have to move the binary image generated yourself. Eclipse has plugins that will do the communication, and the IDE (Sketch?) for Arduino has that built-in, since it only targets that platform...

Members online