Egads!

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Oh, I feel like such an infant! I was trying to add the temp & weather to my system tray and I seem to have outdone myself. But now I can't figure out how to get rid of the extras. Any suggestions? (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-01-14 16-25-16.png
    Screenshot at 2020-01-14 16-25-16.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 694

Sue try right-clicking the unwanted icons from left to right and see what options you have, eg to remove from Panel.

Cheers

Wiz

Well, I right-clicked on the Update Manager icon and wound up deleting them all with one click. I get duplicate options whether I right- or left-click on the wifi icons, and nothing says delete. I can disconnect, which I may do to see if that works, then I can reconnect to wifi.

OK if you get stuck we can take a look at more intensive solutions.

Doing a plug for Timeshift - if you had a recent snapshot you could just roll back. :)

Wiz

Timeshift....always worth a plug. :cool:

OK if you get stuck we can take a look at more intensive solutions.

Doing a plug for Timeshift - if you had a recent snapshot you could just roll back. :)

Wiz

Wiz, it's sounding good to go back in time and reset my computer. (I'm sure that's the wrong terminology, it's too late inthe day for me to think straight. :)) Just how difficult is it to do? I do have Timeshift set up and running.

Just a heads up, Sue, that I have some of the material in place over at the Timeshift Thread, now, so if you head there, we can get you rolling.

Cheers

Wizard

BUMP

Sue, did you have any joy clearing out those duplicate icons of Update Manager and Wifi or are they still there?

Wiz

Sorry, Wiz, I have been AWOL for awhile again. Family stuff. I'm afraid I'm going to in and out for awhile. Anyway, I'm here now and I'm going to the Timeshift thread to see what you have put up there. I'm hoping I can get this done tonight, I seem to have over-caffeinated myself this evening. o_O

I hope your shoulder heals faster than you think it will, I know that's miserable stuff.

Sue

sue, hi. when you can, can you

1. post a screenshot of your current desktop, to see if it has changed since the one in #1?

2. with the shot in #1, do you remember if it was before or after you upgraded to tricia 19.3?

ta

wiz

i'll plough on while i have some energy.

screenshots below

FGqpaoP.png

and

dcDww8z.png

the first shot is from my linux mint 19.2 'tina' MATE, which was what you had before you upgraded.

the second is from my linux mint 19.3 'tricia' MATE, which you upgraded to.

by right-clicking an empty space on the panel, the context-sensitive menu revealed includes an option to reset the panel. if sue has not tried this, she can click to reset and see what happens, if anything.

other readers should read on.

in most cases, applying the panel reset button will restore factory defaults, and we'll be left with

- on the left, menu button, show desktop, file manager, terminal, and firefox

- on the right, the default system tray

if i pressed to reset with either of those linux mints above, the 11 - 13 icons for my apps and launchers would disappear. the apps would still be onboard, but i would have to re-populate the panel with the quick launch icons.

subject to how sue responds, the next option we try might involve introducing a different desktop environment.

cheers

wizard

sue, hi. when you can, can you

1. post a screenshot of your current desktop, to see if it has changed since the one in #1?

2. with the shot in #1, do you remember if it was before or after you upgraded to tricia 19.3?

ta

wiz
Here's the screenshot you requested. And in shot #1, it was after I upgraded to Tricia 19.3.

Screenshot at 2020-03-02 13-06-54.png

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sue - when you attach a screenshot, consider choosing full image over thumbnail - easier to view. i have done so for you above. ;)

1. did you get to try the rest option i outlined above, if so, what was the outcome?

2. if you did and it failed, i would advocate installing an additional de desktop environment, namely cinnamon or xfce - doing so will reset your desktop and fix the system tray. both of these provide a wallpaper slideshow facility where you can feature your grandkids. elaine and i have ours set up to change every 5 minutes or so.

there is no data loss, and you choose the de you run at login window and it will default to that choice until changed

let me know what you wish

wiz

I hadn't tried to reset because I didn't want to lose anything. Just now, when I right-clicked on an empty space I wasn't given the option to reset. I tried to get a screenshot but was unable. The options I had were: create folder/launcher/document, open terminal, organize desktop by name, keep aligned, paste and change desktop background. What would you have me do?

I just re-read your instructions. I think I'd like to try to install cinammon. (I'm really hoping this will be relatively easy.) Can you tell me how to do this?

I just re-read your instructions. I think I'd like to try to install cinammon. (I'm really hoping this will be relatively easy.) Can you tell me how to do this?
Perhaps this will help.

Have a read and read as many times as needed.

short now, more later.

sue see my pic. my panel has a black line with my icons and spaces.

right-click in a space there ... you are right-clicking in the main desktop area

more coffee :)

wiz

btw - i will get a de blow by blow stitched up for if we need it.

short now, more later.

sue see my pic. my panel has a black line with my icons and spaces.

right-click in a space there ... you are right-clicking in the main desktop area

more coffee :)

wiz

btw - i will get a de blow by blow stitched up for if we need it.
"If ever, oh ever, a wiz there was, the wizard of oz is one because........!"

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Extra icons are gone, I don't have to add anything back on to my computer, you are great!!
Screenshot at 2020-03-04 20-59-17.png

Now, can you tell me where to find all those great images you have on your desktop?

Any day now I'm going to get brave and put Linux on my laptop. o_O

Staff online