Eating memory and kernel panic?

Soulmann

Reaction score
Credits
I installed the newest version of Cinnamon Mint not long ago, maybe 2 months now? Clean install on HDD. not sharing HDD with any other OS. This morning I started getting this message. SO I did some reading in the forums, but being new to all this, not a lot of it is helping. I did a Top command and got quite a surprise, I was under the impression Linux was not a memory hog, but something sure is. I need this system to be stable, I use it for my business website, and am not sure if I can trust this... it took me several manual reboots to get back to being able to get in the internet and try to find out what is going on?

Any ideas on what's going on? Is this a simple case of needing more RAM, or is there more to it?

Attachments

• 2017-07-18_10.12.01.jpg
    2017-07-18_10.12.01.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 647
  • Screenshot from 2017-07-18 11-08-25.png
    Screenshot from 2017-07-18 11-08-25.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 616

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

First thing i'd do is check to see if there's an updated kernel available. You can check to see what kernel you're running by typing: uname -r

You're showing about 2gb of memory - is this an older machine?

Remember, that when you run 'free -m', the buffered memory is actually 'available' as well..

Rob

Yes Rob, this is about a 10 year old machine, dual core Compaq desktop... the automatic update shows there is a newer Kernel and Firmware available... it has the big red 5 on it so I was nervous about installing it since I am rather new at this... not new to computers, but new to this OS.

Installed the new kernel and firmware.. will see if that helps.

Members online

Latest posts