Easy Linux installation for a net book.

L

Loki525

I have an older net book running XP and I'd like to install a version of Linux on it it. I've made several attempts with Mint and Ubuntu without success. Is there a distro around that is useful and easy to load? I'm not a geek and a lot of the written instructions and resources seem to be written in a foreign language and are largely indecipherable at least to me. Is there anything around that can easily be installed from a USB drive without too much trouble? I've been using computers for 30 years and I'm having a difficult time seeing Linux as a viable alternative to other operating systems when it still remains so arcane.

I have put an ISO of Hexxeh's Chromium OS onto an 8GB sd card and booted it from my netbook. I have ~512mb of ram, an atom processor (1.66 ghz) and some sort of integrated GPU. It works perfectly fine, and if left in the device will usually remember you. Try that, as it's a fairly lightweight distro that'll boot off of usb, if you still want windows for it's capability to play netflix on silverlight. no netflix on that build, though. Try it, It's pretty neat and boots really fast.

I would recommend Slax. It is easy to use and if you want it really easy, you can even buy a flash drive from their site with Slax pre-installed.

http://www.slax.org/

If you're looking for a tiny distro, I've had my eye on Tiny Core Linux after I've sorted out a problem with AV Linux on another PC

Members online